Runner cross saxony??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenz101, Jan 25, 2013.

1. chickenz101

chickenz101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Anyone got any pictures of Indian runner cross saxony ducks, wondering what they look like because I'm thinking of breeding them? Thanks

2. chickenz101

Jul 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. chickenz101

Jul 19, 2011
    Anyone...?

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They probably are not that common of a cross as Saxony are a heavy breed and Runners are a light breed. Having these 2 breeds together can be hard on the runners as they are half the size of the Saxony.

5. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, if you use Runner ducks and Saxony drakes, the ducks will have a hard time, especially these slim ones on your picture. A Runner drake wiht a Saxony duck might be a solution, although I'm not quite sure whether the runner would be of the right size to sucessfully mate with the saxony.

And why would you want to cross them?

6. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Holderread's used to breed Saxony 'colored' Runners. I had a pair (until I lost the drake to an eagle).[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I know these kind of runners, they are standarized here in Germany and frequently bred. I think it might take a few generations until you have the desired coulour and shape because the mixing of the colour genes can cause all kinds of funny colouring and the combination different shapes and sizes of runners and saxonies will prevent to create well shaped runners during the F1 and following generations.

But those are beautiful birds in the picture.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I agree with Frank. Breeding Saxony and Runners may eventually get the Saxony coloration but it would take forever to get the Runner shape back.

I would do a lot of searching. If Holderreads used to breed them, someone out there still has some.

Or do a lot of research on genetics on how you can produce this coloration. But keep in mind when breeding to achieve a specific color (or any specific thing) HEAVY culling is necessary.

9. Keystone Waterfowl

Keystone Waterfowl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Near Tulsa
    I would email Holderreads and ask about Saxony Runners if that is what you are really wanting. Sometimes they still have birds for sale in addition to those listed on their site and catalog. I just got two nice dusky runner drakes, one blue trout runner duck and one saxony runner duck.

10. Keystone Waterfowl

Keystone Waterfowl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Near Tulsa
    Another option would be to try Holderread's Deluxe Runner assortment. That assortment contains many different colors that aren't recognized and you might luck into a Saxony or something close enough to help you breed to the color that you are trying to achieve. They have two different runner assortments so if you are looking for a Saxony Runner then avoid their Exhibition Runner Assortment since you would just get Black, White, Blue, Penciled and Fawn & White. Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by