Runner Crosses...Colors Don't Match Parents

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Violet22, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    I have a fawn and white Runner who hatched 9 ducklings. Some of my ducks share nests, but she was the only one that was ever on this nest that I saw. The father is from Metzer's and is a Golden White Layer, looks like a Pekin. I have 2 of these and they are the only drakes I have. But, most of the babies have some gray or are all gray, and some have black beaks and legs. (my pics are horrible!). For females I have 2 Magpies, 1 Rouen, 1 Welsh Harlequin and 2 Fawn and White Runners, and 2 Chocolate Runners. I am wondering..........could she have taken over a Magpies nest? It would have had to be early on, because for 4 weeks she was the only one on it, or can a fawn and white mother and a white father produce these colors? I don't remember my Runners having any gray when they were babies. The Magpie you see in the photo sat on a nest for about 3 weeks, then abandoned it and became the nanny to the ducklings. The first pic is the drake with the one who hatched the eggs. I wish I could take better pics and show the dark colors better on the ducklings, but these were the best out of 33!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    White is caused by two copies of a gene that masks all other colors. Your White drakes could be virtually any color "underneath" the white. Genetics are complicated - unless you're breeding one color that breeds "true", the ducklings will rarely match the parents; and with all the breeds, colors, and patterns you have, I'm surprised you didn't get a wider variety of colors in the ducklings! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
  3. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    Thank you! This is my first year with ducks, so it is all new to me. Now I am anxious to see what the other Runners and the Welsh babies will look like. I don't know which parent they take after, but I hope to get a male that looks like a Runner. I don't want to keep many of the males, but I would like a couple who have those characteristics. Next year I am picking up ALL the eggs........I am happy to have my babies, but enough is enough for now! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by