Runner diet help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ingersolls, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Ingersolls

Ingersolls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    I have an adult injured runner female that Im trying to feed the right food to. She has a broken femur and I was recomended Layey pellets because of the higher calcium. Is that a good thing to be feeding and injured duck?
    If not what would be a good option?
    Would I have to transition her to the new food slowly?
    Also she is confined to a crate at the moment because the Dr. doesnt want her running with the broken wing. Can I give her meal worms, crickets and wax worms as treats since she cannot hunt for bugs on her own yet?
    Sorry about all the questions but I know I will get the right answers on this forum! I love it!!!
    Thanks

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I don't know if it would be a good option or not. If she is not of the age to be laying it may cause other problems...Purina Flocker Raiser is what a lot of people use with good luck.

A slow transition to a new food is always good. Maybe over a 4-7 days time.

Giving her extra treats like that is a great idea. Also, there is a thread on here by 'Nettie' that gives a LONG list of possible treats for ducks - a great resource. Try thawed frozen peas.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ditto Eroc1_1

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It sounds like you took her to the vet so I would follow his recommendation. If she is of layer age than layer pellets are good, if you can only find ones for chickens rather than water fowl, then just add some Niacin supplement. Some people use nutritional yeast from the health food store, others use ground up Nicacin tablets from the grocery store. Insects are a great treat. I assume she is used to grazing outside, too so adding grass and weeds or a bit of what ever she usually gets is good. Just don't give her so much that she doesn't eat the pellets at all. The calcium should be good for a healing bone. I hope she is all better soon!

5. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    scratch'n'peck :

It sounds like you took her to the vet so I would follow his recommendation. If she is of layer age than layer pellets are good, if you can only find ones for chickens rather than water fowl, then just add some Niacin supplement. Some people use nutritional yeast from the health food store, others use ground up Nicacin tablets from the grocery store. Insects are a great treat. I assume she is used to grazing outside, too so adding grass and weeds or a bit of what ever she usually gets is good. Just don't give her so much that she doesn't eat the pellets at all. The calcium should be good for a healing bone. I hope she is all better soon!

x2 NIACIN is important. I am actually able to get livestock grade brewers yeast through my local grain elevator for $24 for a 50lb bag - but I have a few ducks and a couple geese.​

6. Ingersolls

Jul 9, 2011
    What is Niacin? Why dont they put it in the pellets? Or is that only if I am feeding her chicken feed?

7. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:It is an important vitamin that waterfowl need. There is niacin in the feed but not enough to prevent leg issues. Some ducks are more susceptible to lack of niacin than others and will have a hard time walking after awhile - retarded growth, leg weakness, bowed legs, poor feather development. I am dealing with it right now on 4-5 of my ducklings because they haven't received enough of it in their diet.

8. Ingersolls

Jul 9, 2011
    How much of it should I be putting in the bowl of pellets?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by