Runner drake aggression..but only toward ducklings

BonitaApplebum

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2015
My runners' ducklings hatched about 2 weeks ago. I found the first duckling laying outside of the nest, but was able to save it. After that, I separated the adult ducks, and Edna took care of the rest of her babies. Today, the adult ducks were in the yard together and I brought the babies outside to walk in the grass for the first time. Bill, our drake, was intent on biting them, despite me pushing him away. Usually, if he is feeling a bit aggressive (he sometimes chases the kids, but doesn't really do much else), I can nudge him away and it ends. But today he was determined to get the ducklings. I can't find any other stories about this type of behavior. It's kind of inconvenient bc it means that if the adults are together (which they prefer to be--Edna seems to have chosen Bill over her ducklings), the ducklings have to be inside. If this doesn't stop once they're out of the brooder I'm not sure what we'll do. Anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

Drakes are often aggressive towards ducklings, so it's best to keep them separated with mom until the ducklings are as big as the adults and can defend themselves. It will get better when they are older and able to get away from him (or nip him back). Can you put up a temporary fence to protect the ducklings for now? They will need at least couple more weeks before you should try them in with the adults again.

Supervised together time until they are about the same size as the adults and can defend themselves a bit better.

My sweet runner girl was more than happy to try to rid the pond of the littles when they would share, but she got booted out by me if she could not share.
When I have littles, I have them in the yard in a separate area - temp pen - that the bigs can see, but can't get into. This allows them to start their introductions. Then when out in the yard, supervised always. Then when they move to sharing a house, they are separated at night for a week or so.

You need to work it gradually to introduce the littles to the bigs.

Thanks for the good advice! I will keep them separated for now...I need to get a pen for outside for the littles. There are only 5, but when they start roaming there might as well be 50. Oh, and here's a picture of our boy when he's not being a booger.

Thanks for the good advice! I will keep them separated for now...I need to get a pen for outside for the littles. There are only 5, but when they start roaming there might as well be 50. Oh, and here's a picture of our boy when he's not being a booger.
Your boy is adorable and so is his human
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom