runner drakes aggressive towards dogs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jwile3, Dec 13, 2014.

1. jwile3

jwile3 New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    I have 2 runner drakes that have been together since a day old. they are about 4 months old now, and all of a sudden the one has been seeming like he is going after my dog. They have been around her since they were babies and have been fine together. My chocolate runner is perfectly fine with my dog but its my fawn runner that will get all fluffed up, run over to her and get right in her face. My dog does nothing but my fawn drake likes to corner her then get right up in her face. He hasn't pecked at her yet but I would like to stomp the issue before it becomes a problem.. any advice is appreciated!

(newish duck mommy)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your drake is getting the hormone surge, I'd keep the dog and ducks separate just to make sure the drake doesn't bite her and she retaliates she have good reason too but it may injure your drake and i don't think you want that. . I have 5 dogs and do not let my dogs and ducks have time together unless i am there and i don't let my ducks/geese[which are much worse for this] get in any of my dogs faces or even act like they want to go at the dogs. I have a long bamboo pole that i use to keep them at a safe distance from each other if I notice anyone acting like they may want to start trouble. Never ever let your drakes corner your dog or bully her and that's what he is doing. The ducks need to respect your dog as next in line to you in the pecking order. A broom will work to to stop your drake from coming too close to your dog. you just want to stop the behavior not hit your drake.

3. jwile3

jwile3 New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    thank you so much! that was my guess... will I have to worry about him bullying my other drake?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    There is always a leader and a follower if your other drake will be submissive to this drake probably not much will happen but if he stands up to him then there could be some fighting till they work it out, I'd let them work it out though unless one is injuring the other. I have to let my drakes work it out and only intervene when they get up against the fence and start beating their wings to a pulp. other wise one will win the other ones runs with the winner in hot pursuit the loser will lay down with the winner standing over him for a few minutes then it's over till the next time. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by