1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runner duck couldn't walk last night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kadjain, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Last night I herded my ducks in and everyone was moving fine. A couple of hours later I went out to lock them up and my runner female couldn't walk. Everything else was fine she just couldn't move her legs. I put her in a crate for the night and this morning she is back to normal. What could've caused her temporary paralysis? Were her legs just asleep?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Could she be Egg Bound?

3. Kadjain

Not sure? I got an egg from her yesterday and she has been laying pretty consistant before that too. I'll see if I get any from her today. She is my only duck who lays green eggs so it is easy to tell if she laid or not.

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    If there's no egg then it's very likely she could be egg bound. Have you felt her abdomen?

5. Kadjain

I handled her a lot last night trying to feel what could be wrong and didn't fee anything weird but I did not specifically check her abdomen.

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    If it feels rather hard there there may be a egg. DONT apply to much pressure or you could rupture the egg

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Is she eating and drinking okay? Is it possible that she was just....tired?

8. Kadjain

I noticed that she ate and drank in the crate last night but I haven't seen her do much today. I was kinda thinking she was tired cause my drake has been chasing her around but I didn't think he was chasing her around so much to make her colapse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by