Runner duck got mated and injured! Help!

Kaitlyn_HK

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2021
Mulvane, KS.
Sunday everyone was fine, Monday morning I came out to find that my Indian runner(Peach) was injured. Assuming by our khaki Campbell drake.Her back, back of her head and eye was injured. I put blue kote on her back and head as recommended by a friend. Not her eye though. She was walking when I found her Monday morning. I separated her and kept her inside. By Wednesday she stopped walking, she is eating and drinking fine though. I took her to the vet on Thursday. He looked her over and ended up giving her antibiotics. That I have to continue for the next day. He thought the not walking might be related to the pain, but she refuses to move her legs and will use her beak and will push herself with her wings. I feel like it could be a Niacin deficiency, but honestly I’m not sure. I don’t know what else I can do for her. Please help! Thank you!

So sorry you didn’t get replies sooner
How is your girl now ?
I haven’t had one injured like that but have had one limping after my boys were learning to mate
I did keep mine in a smaller area inside the pen so she could see her flock for a few days and would carry her in and out in morning and night
Did the vet offer any pain relief for her ?
Are you able to offer her some swim time even in the bath as water therapy is really good to help with leg problems
Did they do X-rays or check that nothing is popped out or broken ?

So sorry you didn’t get replies sooner
How is your girl now ?
I haven’t had one injured like that but have had one limping after my boys were learning to mate
I did keep mine in a smaller area inside the pen so she could see her flock for a few days and would carry her in and out in morning and night
Did the vet offer any pain relief for her ?
Are you able to offer her some swim time even in the bath as water therapy is really good to help with leg problems
Did they do X-rays or check that nothing is popped out or broken ?
She got antibiotics from the vet. Her wounds all healed up but she still isn’t walking. I do let her out in a separate area to let her see her flock and to swim with supervision on swimming cause she will flip occasionally. She has another vet appointment in 2 days and hopefully they can find something going on with her walking issue. I feel so terrible but I’m trying to do what I can for her.

She got antibiotics from the vet. Her wounds all healed up but she still isn’t walking. I do let her out in a separate area to let her see her flock and to swim with supervision on swimming cause she will flip occasionally. She has another vet appointment in 2 days and hopefully they can find something going on with her walking issue. I feel so terrible but I’m trying to do what I can for her.
Hopefully you get some answers
And dye gets better

My rouen had walking problems and they thought niacin was the issue. the vet suggested peas. I fed her entire cans of peas and brewers yeast and she is fine now. I don't know if that is the leg issue but it can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom