1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runner duck injury

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jenthecanadian, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Jenthecanadian

Jenthecanadian Just Hatched

Nov 29, 2016
    First time poster here! One of my beautiful runner ducks (a drake) was hurt by my dog tonight. He got loose in the yard when the ducks were out and tried to wrestle with them. One of my drakes got hurt. He has some feathers pulled out and some cuts. I feel terrible! We took him inside and cleaned his wounds with peroxide. He's staying inside tonight. He's raising his head, drinking water and resting, but I'm worried sick. What should I look out for? After he swam in our tub a drop of watery blood came from his bill, but there's been nothing more since.

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I dont know what I would do differently. Sound like you did well!
    Just keep him warm and most important, stress free. And I'm sure you will be very careful in future with the dog[​IMG]
    Maybe Amiga or Miss Lydia have some ideas, my stupid pc wont let me ''mention'' them...
    And [​IMG]

3. Jenthecanadian

Nov 29, 2016
    Thank you! Yes, I will be very careful. He's a puppy, and he doesn't know that ducks don't want to wrestle. Anyways, we are going to adjust our fencing so it can never happen again!

4. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Thankfully he is not full grown, he may have done more damage.
    Where did the blood come from by the way?from inside his mouth or nostrils, or directly from the bill?

5. Jenthecanadian

Nov 29, 2016
    I think it came from inside. I looked at his bill and couldn't see any damage.

6. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    [​IMG]
    Do you have probiotics to give him? I would do that, just coz

7. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    also if you feed him pellets, maybe you can wet them to make it softer for him to eat

8. Jenthecanadian

Nov 29, 2016
    Ok! Will do that. I don't know about probiotics. Is it something I should get? Where can I get them? Thank you so much for your advice!

9. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    You can usually get them at a feed store like tractor supply(have those in Canada?) Its good for ducklings and that, I dont see how they would hurt in this situation either.
    Its beneficial bacteria, like in yogurt. Good for the gut, especially in times of stress

10. Jenthecanadian

Nov 29, 2016
    Will check it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by