runner duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by schoebel_taylor, Oct 14, 2009.

1. schoebel_taylor

schoebel_taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    I read the duck sexing process but i was just wondering if there was a specific way of telling if a runner is drake or hen? Im not really up for vent sexing. any help is apperciated. [​IMG]

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

runners are the same as any other duck when it comes to sexing. If you aren't into vent sexing then you wait to hear a quack (female) or a more hissing quack (make), or a drake curl feather (male).

3. GnomeGirl

GnomeGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    How would one go about vent sexing a Runner? I would really like a few in the spring as young ducks but don't want more than one or two males to a few gals.

4. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    I hear ya, seems like that is a pretty good way to sex them but if it is dangerous to do if you're inexperienced then what next?

Any of the experienced folks willing to post something on youtube? Although, I confess I haven't gone out there to look and see if someone else already has.

5. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    Quote:Hi Rainplace - I read that page and I think that is what schoebel_taylor was referring to. However, I got scared and stopped reading when I got to the part that said "WARNING! Done incorrectly this can seriously harm your duckling. Either leave this to the pros or try to have an experienced person show you how to do this."

I'm definitely no expert... heck, I don't even qualify as a novice at this point [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by