runner duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lannabun, Jan 9, 2008.

1. lannabun

lannabun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    indiana
    ok i have these 4 runner ducks who are very flighty dont seem to be nothing like my reg ducks ..
    my thing is thier in my coop in a pen and i really want that pen for something else . but im scared to put them out in the big pen its wide open . if i clip thier wings are they still going to fly .. i ask this cuz i have a choc scovey and she still flys away ... not far but enough she drives me nut knocking on my front door .. any ideals or should i just make them a pen out side ? with a top on it ?

2. leslie0815

leslie0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Hi, I have runners I have had for 2 seasons now, they can't fly, mine are kept in a large pen with some chickens and geese. I have several things for them to get under and in . There is no top on my pen and they have been fine. Trim your muscoveys wing...just 1 though. They should be just fine. Runners are flight anyway, but they sure are a hoot.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  3. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Lanna They don't fly but are a joy to have we have a few running around her a white female and 2 chocolate males that are show quality look like pop bottles!!!!! then I have a few that are farm quality they are the 1st ducks we hatched so they are our babies . Really fun birds to have
    Allie:D

4. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Lanna,
    No worries...can't fly, just run!
    Christie:D

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

the don't fly? I watched one of my fly right over a 4 ft fence............. I better go tell him he can't fly [​IMG] really....he was scared right over that fence......by me........ but I have never had them fly on their own..........you will love these ducks.....they are to cute

6. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Though they really do want to fly. Our ducks like to stand facing a really good wind and flap like mad. They only manage to get a few inches off the ground, but it's cute.

When they need to, they can fly/jump out of plastic storage box or, if scared, fly off a mound for a few feet.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  7. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I don't particularly remember ever seeing my Runners fly - just sort of a jumpy/flyie/running thing [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. gila_dog

gila_dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    New Mexico
    Other than looking cool, what are the advantages/disadvantages of runners? How would they be in a garden as bug eaters?

9. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I know they use them in India to keep the rice fields free of weeds and bugs.

10. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    We raise them for showing.
    But many dog trainers use runners to train herding dogs.

Christie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by