Runner duck setting problems & questions UPDATE

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Jun 21, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, one of my runners finally decided to set a nest inside of the duck run ( they had only ever set in unsafe areas). Now, the other ducks seem to be picking on her and I have not seen her leave the nest at all in a few days. Her "nest" was inside of a covered dog crate. Yesterday, I used some panels to block off the area because she is ending up with more and more eggs under her ( I think the others are laying in there with her). She has been setting for about 2 weeks and shortly after she started I removed all but 7 eggs and there have to be 12-15 under her now. Today, I lifted the crate off of her (floorless) and noticed a large bare patch on her back where it looks like the feathers were pulled out. She was not at all happy about me being there. Hissing and all but would not get up. I have not seen her eat in days unless I put some veggies right in front of her, same with water. I fenced off a larger area for her where the other ducks can't get to her. I put food and water in with her.

So my questions:
    Should I remove more eggs from under her? It seems like she is covering them all but I know there can be hatching problems with so many.
    Should I keep her seperated? I can't keep the chickens from going in with her but at least I can keep the ducks out.
    Is it possible that a setting duck would basically starve herself to death?

Any other suggestions would be great. This is my first time with a setting hen and poor Blue looks a mess.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Well i know 1 thing the "missing" feathers are from where a drake mateed with her. sorry thats all i know. [​IMG]

3. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    She didn't have the missing feathers when she started setting though. They have only been missing in the last few days.

4. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Oh sorry lol.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Since you don't know which are the original eggs unless you marked them I would leave all of them if she can cover them. I would keep the other ducks away from her. If possible (I know how feisty broody ducks can be) I would remove her from the nest daily so that she eats, drinks, and defecates. Once the initial eggs hatch, remove the remainder to an incubator in case they are viable. Good luck.

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thank you for the advice. I know I can remove her. She gets upset put I'm surprised she hasn't done anything more than hiss. Unfortunately, I don't have an incubator so I'll hope for the best with the initial hatch.

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So, this morning I picked her up off of the nest and placed her in front of the large water bin. She then had a very big but watery poop and promptly returned to the nest. I gave her some veggies mixed with some mash (normally they eat pellets) and she eventually took a few bites but nothing much. I am worried that she will die because she is not eating. She has not touched the pellets I have in with her in days.
    Is there a high calorie something, anything that I can entice her with to at least get some calories into her?

Oh, and she is sitting on 15 eggs. I counted this morning.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I'm thinking peas in a bowl very close to her, and vitamins in the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by