1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runner duck "sneezing"??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LoogaNation, Nov 5, 2016.

1. LoogaNation

LoogaNation New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    Hello, we look after three male Indian Runner ducks, which we hatched ourselves this year. They all appear to be in very good health, they're lively, have very good appetites and look a decent weight.

Today we noticed that one of them, The Rev, is either hiccuping or coughing or sneezing. He doesn't appear to be in any other distress and I think he seems too vocal for it to be something stuck in his oesophagus.

We live in Southampton, UK and the temperature has been dropping to about 8 degrees centigrade.

Any advice?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    How long has it been sneezing? Sometimes when they eat crumble feed they get dust in their nose wich causes them to sneeze

3. LoogaNation

LoogaNation New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    He was just sneezing since yesterday, but this morning he was fine. Obviously we will keep an eye on the little chap but he must have just had dust up his nose!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I believe it was Dust....I keep deep bowls of water around my yard when they free range and in my run at all times....That way they can clean out their nares/noses.....Mine will sneeze to sometimes......

Enjoy those Ducks!!!

I sure do!!!

Cheers!!!

5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I like to give them pellets instead of crumble that way they don't get dust in their noses when they eat

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Some feeds do not come in pellets.....Crumbles only.....Mine is locally made ........I can only get layer in pellets......Not Crumble...Mine do not lay yet...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by