runner duck - sudden onset inability to walk and neck spasms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Teresamd, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Teresamd

Teresamd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2013
    I am unsure of the duck's age. It is a female. She was fine yesterday. Then today she could hardly swim in the pond. Once we got all the ducks out of the pond, she could not walk up onto shore, I had to wade out and get her. She acts like her neck is spasming, she pulls it back and sometimes up, and I can feel the muscles tighten. She seems to "wince" when this happens (she closes her eyes and kind of jumps).

She has not eaten much but is drinking a ton of water. We brought her in the house as the temperature has dropped and it is snowing. Massaging seems to help her relax the neck some and stretch it out. There is a certain spot on the neck that if you "squeeze" the vertebra she relaxes and lays her head/neck fully stretched out. Her poop is green.

I have given her some vitamins and Pedialyte. We have no avian vets near us. I just want to make her comfortable, find out what is possibly wrong, and treat her until I can find somewhere to take her.

If I left any information out that y'all think is important....please ask me. I am new to ducks and new to forums but want to be a good duck mommy. Thank you in advance for your help.

Teresa

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might look up avian botulism or limberneck on Google to read some info. Usually a molasses or epsom salt flush is done to get the toxin out of the system quickly.

3. Teresamd

Sep 14, 2013
    I did wonder about that, but wouldn't one of the others also show symptoms? They are a flock of six. I did try to give her Epsom salt water last night and she took a little. Today she seems to be having trouble swallowing. How can I get it down her? Thank you very much for your response! It's much appreciated.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am a chicken person who knows nothing about ducks. Be very careful about choking her because one of the symptoms is paralysis of the breathing muscles, and although drinking the epsom salt flush is important, she may aspirate. There is a lot of info online. Some recommend antibiotics, but some sources say they don't do much. Keep posting to let us know how she is doing. Here is one source I found: http://www.avianweb.com/botulism.html

5. Teresamd

Sep 14, 2013
    Eek. So confusing! However, the more I read about botulism...I don't think that's it, but don't know. Closest avian vet is over four hours away. I was wondering if benadryl would help? Saw on here that you can give ducks 1/2 ml every 24 hours. Honestly, if I don't try it I'm afraid she won't make it anyway... :(. Thank you again.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could try tube feeding her. Do a search for "go team tube feeding" that thread has two good links on how to tube. You should also look up Duck plague and wry neck, see if any of those symptoms fit.

-Kathy

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You can also try posting this on the "duck thread"... or maybe pm Miss Lydia... she has a wealth of knowledge on duck issues... there is also a specific "Runner Duck" thread that may be able to help you too.....

Good luck!

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. Teresamd

Sep 14, 2013
    Well, so far Sweetpea is holding her own. She is comfortably resting on a nice bed with water and food within easy reach. Still not walking and acts like her neck is spasming. She must have gotten enough epsom salt to help as she has soaked the bed several times (I swear she grins when I have to change it). She is drinking a lot still but has eaten a bit this evening! YAY! She has been moving her right leg, although not a lot any movement is an improvement to me. I have done what I call physical therapy with her....massage, helping her stand, etc....as long as it didn't seem painful to her and she didn't cringe we did it. I am not sure what this is or how to treat it but she seems to be feeling a bit better as she has even quacked at me this evening...... :) So thankful for everyone's comments! I will have to get a picture of her posted, she is a gorgeous gray/white runner...We are keeping our fingers crossed and our eyes on Sweetpea.....wish us luck that she will continue to show signs of improvement. I don't know how to make the lil guys dancing and smiling on here but I would if I could as well as a heart for all of you!!! Teresa

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Great news that Sweetpea is responding to all of your efforts!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Best wishes !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by