Runner duck with scab or crusty poop on vent laying bloody eggs

eranr

Chirping
Dec 23, 2019
I have a 2 y/o runner duck that started laying bloody eggs and we noticed dark scabby or perhaps poop looking crust on her vent. It doesn't look like other prolapse or infection pics I have seen, so I'm wondering if this is perhaps a scab that will heal on its own or more likely an infection I need to treat. We tried soaking her in clean water to see if it was just poop but it did not seem to be. Thanks in advance for any advice!
20230503_192923.jpg

Is she laying daily? I looks like it could be a small prolapse but can’t say for sure I just can’t see it very good. How much blood?
Yes, she lays daily. We had three consecutive days of bloody eggs from her. By bloody, I mean it looks like one 1-2 in long streak of blood that is maybe 1 cm at the middle, widest part and tapers at both ends. I can get a picture tomorrow. We did put hemorrhoid cream on it yesterday to see if that would help.

That’s how my duck started as well
I found eggs with blood streaks then I heard a weird poo and found what girl it was
She had that crusted hard stuff on outside
I thought it was poo and did soaks 3 times a day trying
Eventually she got a prolapse from it
It’s been a nightmare since dec with very high vet bills
after 4 antibiotics and small surgery to clean her up and push the slight prolapse back in they finally listened to me when I demanded testing of the gleet for fungal
Her urethra was constantly getting blocked up from gleet as well as her outside glands
After testing they found she has aspergillosis in her vent area
We are just at the end of 60 days on fungal meds and just this past week we finally have improvements
Have not had ti clean her vent in a week
That hard stuff does come if you pinch it and twist
After going to the vet weekly she taught me how to clean her to save cost
I also used colloidal silver spray on the outside area twice a day
Monistat cream inside
Hopefully yours isn’t near as bad as mine but I noticed the blood streaks on eggs first but had no idea they girl was doing it at first

That’s how my duck started as well
I found eggs with blood streaks then I heard a weird poo and found what girl it was
She had that crusted hard stuff on outside
I thought it was poo and did soaks 3 times a day trying
Eventually she got a prolapse from it
It’s been a nightmare since dec with very high vet bills
after 4 antibiotics and small surgery to clean her up and push the slight prolapse back in they finally listened to me when I demanded testing of the gleet for fungal
Her urethra was constantly getting blocked up from gleet as well as her outside glands
After testing they found she has aspergillosis in her vent area
We are just at the end of 60 days on fungal meds and just this past week we finally have improvements
Have not had ti clean her vent in a week
That hard stuff does come if you pinch it and twist
After going to the vet weekly she taught me how to clean her to save cost
I also used colloidal silver spray on the outside area twice a day
Monistat cream inside
Hopefully yours isn’t near as bad as mine but I noticed the blood streaks on eggs first but had no idea they girl was doing it at first
Wow... thank you very much for the insight and I'm sorry about all that. I hope she is okay now.

I'm trying to think the best way to proceed based on your experience. Should I should just start with monistat cream and colloidal silver spray and see if it improves or actually go request testing at the vet first? My experience with ducks at the vet is that they are kind of just guessing and trying things like we do here on the board anyways.

As a side note, I really don't want to try and pull things off because if I were mistaken and it is prolapse or scab then that could be really painful and damaging for her. According to my duck, holding her for more than 60 seconds is torture that she won't let me forget about for 2 days... However, if that is an essential part of good treatment and healing, then I will do it.

Wow... thank you very much for the insight and I'm sorry about all that. I hope she is okay now.

I'm trying to think the best way to proceed based on your experience. Should I should just start with monistat cream and colloidal silver spray and see if it improves or actually go request testing at the vet first? My experience with ducks at the vet is that they are kind of just guessing and trying things like we do here on the board anyways.

As a side note, I really don't want to try and pull things off because if I were mistaken and it is prolapse or scab then that could be really painful and damaging for her. According to my duck, holding her for more than 60 seconds is torture that she won't let me forget about for 2 days... However, if that is an essential part of good treatment and healing, then I will do it.
As long as it doesn’t build way up you can leave it
Start with the monistat and silver first and see if this helps
You can spray the silver directly on the areas as well as give her 1ml 2 times a day by syringe or on a little treat so she takes it all
My vets including the avian vet we were sent to had me running in circles
Although not fully their faults. The fungal caused her body to focus on that then she got Elevated bacterials so needed antibiotics
Then that caused the fungal and gleet to get worse
But they never gave up trying to help her and my local vet has got a full bird education now :)
The avian vet was nice enough to work with my local vet so I only had to make 2 trips at 3 hours away
Less stress on my bird to not travel
Another thing I would do is start her on probiotics
Give over a small treat like peas
This will help to rebuild if she is fighting off any fungal or bacterials as well

Back
Top Bottom