1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

runner duck with shaky legs. any ideas?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Nov 18, 2010.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    One of my 5 week old runner ducks legs are pretty shaky at times. The legs don't shake all of the time but sometimes when the group is all standing around the one's legs just shake. It looks like it is shivering but I'm in Florida and its not cold out. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

This particular duck does seem to lay down more often than the rest but is not always lying down, just tends to plop down first. She (I think) keeps up with the rest, swims, eats etc. I have been adding Niacin to their water since their arrival. They are eating TSC chick/duck starter/grower 20% protein. I just started mixing their current food with grower/finisher to get a 17% protein mix as suggested by Metzer.

Should I be concerned about the shaking? It is not constant just seems to occur at times.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You are giving niacin, so this may be some neurological thing. It may or may not grow out of it. Check for mold in the food or bedding, just to be sure.

1 person likes this.
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its pretty copmmon with many of my runner babies. It seem to happen more often between 3-5 weeks old. Not all of them do it- and it seems to co-incide with growth spurts they go through. It doesnt last more than a a few days to a week. They just seem a little shakey- no other symptoms, but do grow out of it.

4. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    We had a duck with a paralasis tick on her and she had very shakey legs, don't think you guys get them there though?

5. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    We also have one duck out of my runners that had shaky legs for a couple months. he had them almost constantly, and also layed down alot, and we were giving niacin. At katharndid' advice, we gave it again after we had stopped. they finally no longer shake at 3 months old. He is my daughter's FAVORITE duck, he's named Lucky. he is the cutest funniest duck ever lol. it was adorable when his legs shook too.

6. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Here's Lucky, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Luck with your runner

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. The little guy or girl seems fine otherwise, so I'll just keep on eye on him. Or her. [​IMG]

8. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    One of my runner boys was like this too, really wobbly on his legs and sat down a lot. It seemed that his hips were positioned a little bit more forward in his body than the others and his centre of gravity was in a different place which he couldn't quite find, hence the appearance of being off balance all the time. He had had niacin added to his feed from the first week.

Anyway, long story short, he simply grew out of it by about 3 and a half months old. He is now the tallest and most elegant of my runners, completely steady on his feet, and a sweetie! I just made sure that he had a good diet, free ranging with plenty of grass to graze, slugs and mealworms as treats and a bit of "poultry spice" when he moulted. give your duck some time and I am sure time will improve things, so long as you are feeding the right things.

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thank you ejctm for the encouraging story. Since he seems okay, I am just going to see how it goes.

10. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I've noticed some of my young one's legs shaking in the past as well. I can't remember if it was my runners or not. Everything seemed to turn out fine though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by