1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

runner duck with white bubbly eye...please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackerandcanal, Mar 27, 2015.

1. quackerandcanal

quackerandcanal New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    i have 3 runner ducks and 3 call ducks,for about the last week and a half my female runner duck has had this white bubbly gunk coming from out of her eye,i havent got a clue what to do and i am so worried about her,i took her to the vets last week and they havent got a clue and because i live in a city there is no poultry vets anywhere near me,the vet gave some fucithalmic eye drops for her which are meant for cats dogs and rabbits,as they say there are no registered drugs for ducks in this country,i was a bit put off by them but have been using them anyway,now a week later her eye is still the same and her other eye is showing signs of it coming aswell,all of my other ducks are fine but i am worried they might catch it,please help me does anyone know what this could be????

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She has an eye infection. If it is mostly on the surface, then saline solution three or four times a day may resolve it after several days.

If it gets more serious, she will need antibiotic. Antibiotic eye drops are available - especially if you have a vet.

Do they have a way to wash their heads in fresh water frequently? Adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water in their drinking water (where I would expect them to wash their heads) ought to help reduce the risk of eye infections in the future.

Also, tell the vet it is called "foamy eye."

3. quackerandcanal

quackerandcanal New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    thank you so much for getting back to me with advice,i have been cleaning her eye with saline water after giving her a warm shower twice a day,so i should hopefully see a change in the next few days,well i very much hope so as i hate seeing her like that,you seem to know a bit about runners do you keep them yourself??and do you think that this eye infection has been caused by the males trying to mate with her as this is what someone has told me,ive kept her completly away from them since,but they are not happy about it

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

We have nine Runners and four Buffs. Better the boys be unhappy for a while than your girls hurt. How many of each do you have?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of the eye?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by