Runner duckling not well need help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckins, Feb 1, 2013.

1. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    My 4 day old runner Lula who almost drowned yesterday was found this morning flipped over on her back I got her back on stomach but she's having hard time standing her legs keep sliding out to side like she has no control of them her breathing has heavy but no panting she's separate from others her temp is 90f in brooder she's drinking electro mix water but she's not eating and no poop from 11pm to now 6 am she can stand barely but plops right back down trying to sit in her water again but have it where she can't. Her eyes seem weak and she seems scared of me unlike yesterday. What could this be and what should I do she got stronger all day and was fine last night except I noticed her leg kept sliding out so I figured splayed leg and was going to read up on that today. Also sounds silly but is this contagious to my others they are acting very normal and hyper.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What kind of footing do you have them On? they need to be on something like the rubber shelf liner or towels. for sure footing. take some of the nutri drench mixed according to the directions, did yours come with the squeeze tube if so just pick her up wrapped in a towel and try to very carefully get a tiny bit into her mouth just at the tip though not down into her throat.and 90 is probably too hot, more like 85 ducklings don't need it as warm as chicks. once you get some nuri drench into her then take a lil of her feed and moisten it with warm water and just see if she'll eat it better that way, right now getting the nutri drench into her is the most important. you'll have to read on splayed leg since I haven't ever delt with that one. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    She's on paper towels. Others on pine shavings. Did cut heat down her breathing got calmer should mention when I pick her up she goes limp in my hand like she's passing put her down not limp anymore ill try nutri right now this is very strange.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Paper towels can be kind of slick I'd use an old towel for now under her. it can be washed and it much easier on the legs. keep updating. Once you get some Nutri Drench into her make her feed kinda wet so she has to drink it instead of actually biting it, just make a tiny amt. so your not wasting it if she won't eat. you want it like gruel. try to keep her from getting wet and chilled.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  5. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Got little nutri in her but she does not want to eat still no poop belly little swollen wander if it hurts her maybe

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Poop belly? how does her vent look no poop stuck and hardened is there? Another thing you need to keep in mind, and hopefully this isn't the case here but still something to keep in the back of your mind, There is something called failure to thrive and you maybe seeing this just keep trying to offer her the nutri drench and feed because you don't want to give up on her it's just some don't make it no matter what you do. I am hoping this isn't the case here though [​IMG] just want you to be prepared.

7. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Makes since thanks for telling me ill keep trying with her do u think its any contiguous kind of thing the other 4 are doing so well

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No I don't think it's contagious, when they arrived did you notice any difference in this one and the rest? could stress, cold weather any number of things, they ship right after hatching so it could be something congenital you may never know but hopefully with some TLC she'll come out of it. hows her bottom look she doesn't have pasty butt? [dried poop covering her vent area}

9. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Her bottom doesn't have poop dried but looks wet but is dry and hair around it is stiff compared to others their bottoms are dry and they poop a plenty. She does nt even drink now but keeps stretching little legs out like she's having discomfort

10. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    When they arrived 2 morning ago she was not as perky as others take few steps plop down and at time thought it was a runner thing but she held her tail tucked under her back legs. others did not yesterday morn after sugar water she started pooping not sure if that had anything to do with it since it was her first time being separate not sure if sugar acted as a laxative there's been little voice in my head telling me since she arrived could she be constipated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by