Runner Ducks and Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kandyg_99, Dec 17, 2008.

1. kandyg_99

kandyg_99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Hi Ya'll,
    I purchased some Runner ducks back in June and they are about 25 weeks now how long should it be when they start laying?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Between 5-7 months from what I have read. I am sure the light level in their living quarters can effect that too.

3. kandyg_99

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    I've had a light in their house because of the frigid temps here in Colorado and my Golden Cascades have been laying pretty much everyday,they are a week older than my runners.

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah...tell me about the frigid temps. I am freezing my butt off down here South of the Springs!!!

Anyway...sounds like you have the light situation under control. I would expect to see eggs in the next couple of weeks.

How do you like the Golden Cascades? I have seen them for sale a couple of times but I don't know much about them.

5. kandyg_99

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    I love my Cascades they are just beautiful.I had gotton eggs from someone and ended up just getting two to hatch.Thank god there was a male and a female.I'm looking forward to babies in the spring.

6. With the runners I wonder it they might be affected by the cold. Their feathers are less fluffy so they have to spend more energy dealing with the cold. Mine stopped laying a while ago, and just today even my Khaki Campbell didn't lay an egg for the first time in a while. Maybe you will have to wait a few months. [​IMG]

7. kandyg_99

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    I think my Runner ducks have started laying!!For the longest time I have gotton one duck egg a day.This morning (just now) I found TWO EGGS....
    Now before I get too excited I have a question,I just purchased a pair a Pekin Ducks suppose to be 8 months old,Could it be them that laid the other egg? The egg is kinda small.

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Pekin's lay pretty darn large eggs! At 8 months they should have been laying awhile now, I would assume their eggs would be larger. If it is the runner, she just started and can expect smaller eggs for a little while.

They don't go broody those runners... its been breed out of them from what I've read. You'll have to incubate those eggs to get a good hatch. I just got myself some feathery incubators. My silkies have already hatched my ducks for me, and I expect them to hatch more for me in the spring! [​IMG]

(I'm hoping they hatch some runners for me most of all!!!)

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    my runners live inside and aren't laying.... they about the same age as yours... weird

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, you have age, temps and light levels all effecting egg laying. Then you add diet as a factor too. Lots of variables. Once the duck is over 8 months you can rule out age. Once Spring finally gets here you will be able to rule out light and temps. If they still aren't laying by that time, then you look at diet. Or maybe your duck is a dud. Or a DUDE! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by