Runner Ducks first swim! What fun they had. PICS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Nov 13, 2010.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So I finally was able to take thme outside and fill up the pool. Its been a bit chilly and since they aren't fully feathered I didn't want them to get wet until it was warmer out. They had a blast.

[​IMG]
    I think they were wondering: Hmm. How do we get in there?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The little black female decided to swim underwater and scared everyone else out of the pool. It was HILARIOUS!

[​IMG]
    Everyone back in the pool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Do we swim or do we stand?

[​IMG]
    How do you get ducks out of the pool? Bribe them with food of course. [​IMG]

I have realized that I will need something deeper than the kiddie pool I purchased. They were not really able to swim and could barely get underwater to duck dive and they are only 5 weeks old.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]

Love to see those swimmin ducks!
    Haha, the female ran everyone out by diving!
    Yep, looks like you need a bigger pool.

thank you for sharing your lovely runners swimming.

Beth

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh, what happy ducks!

4. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Awwwwwwwwwwww cuties! Love the one where they're all soggy!
    [​IMG]

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Love your photos, isnt it funny the way 1 duck can empty a pool in 2 seconds flat [​IMG]
    Where did you get your little pool from. I have small pools but not that small and my Khakis cant get in it. I need 1 the same size as yours. Ive put down logs, bricks a ram and all they do it walk round them. Caught 1 of them standing in the yard doing the motions of having a bath..just standing there about 20 feet from the pool. Looked like she was enjoying herself too flapping round all over the place, tail wagging, sidew ays flapping, preening.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A nice mix of colours you have there jdywntr. I just cant believe how clean the water stayed. I change the water in the pools and they are all muddy and full of grass again in 5 minutes!!!

7. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Looks like they had a wonderful time. I love to watch them dive. My runners seemed to do it a lot more when they were little. My little wild duck dives and goes around the pool in a circle then comes back up. Try throwing some peas in the pool and they will have a great time.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    gofasterstripe- I got the pool at ToysRUs. I got it at the end of Sept. for $4.
    I got them into the pool using greens. I do give them different veggies, usually in water, and 2 cups of chopped veggies will be gone in about 30 seconds.

9. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm curious what size/type of pool you ended up with? Our first runner ducks (our first ducks of any kind) are due to hatch next week. Trying to figure out how best to give them water on our pondless property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by