Runner ducks in winter

franch

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2016
I'm new to poultry pets. I have five runners in a 7x15 run with a coop consisting of a 6x3 wood "box" with removable lid, wood shavings, and vent holes cut in the back. I live in southern California at a higher elevation so we have generally mild winters but can get to freezing at night and sometimes snow. It sounds like ducks are pretty hardy and I'm hoping the set-up is sufficient. I was wondering if i should take away the kiddy swimming pool in the winter, or leave it for them to play in despite freezing weather. Any advice or input? Thanks!

During freezing times, I don't worry about a pool, just make sure they have a bucket or rubber tub of water deep enough for them to dunk their heads in... they'll be ok without swimming water for a while as long as they can clean out their eyes and nares...

The 'box' sounds a bit cramped for 5 runners though... moisture retention while they are confined inside can cause them more issues than just the cold... wet and cold could lead to frozen ducks...

Also, I heard from another member that some runners don't do as well as other ducks during winter...

@Amiga how do you have yours set up for winter?

Last edited:
If it is just freezing at night, the pool will thaw.

We very rarely get snow/sleet here, but we do get freezing temps at night and every now and then it stays in the low 30s for the day. The ducks have walked on their frozen pond before and just looked at us like something wasn't quite right lol

your set up is fine for winter

I have some Runners who do not thrive below 35-40F - so I moved them into a section of the walkout basement for winter, and decided to make that their night shelter year-round.

Not everyone has that option, but for my arunners, it has meant they are much healthier and more content.

I have some Runners who do not thrive below 35-40F - so I moved them into a section of the walkout basement for winter, and decided to make that their night shelter year-round.

Not everyone has that option, but for my arunners, it has meant they are much healthier and more content.

How would i know if they aren't thriving. Do i look for shivering? Or decreased activity?

Back
Top Bottom