Runner ducks no longer laying. Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cozadfarm, Nov 26, 2013.

1. cozadfarm

cozadfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    I have 4 female runner ducks last year at this time they were each giving me an egg a day but nothing. I know when the weather is hot they do not lay but I figured they should be laying again. They have a large yard to range and I look everywhere for a hidden nest but nothing. Any suggestions would be great they are a year and a half old and I supplement there foraging with layer food. They have a kids pool that gets fresh water daily.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is it spring or fall where you are? I found that as my runners age, they take longer breaks, but they do get back to laying by spring.

3. cozadfarm

cozadfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    It's late fall here. It's only the second year so I'm still learning their cycles

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have found that each year is a little different, and to make things more interesting each year I have added two or three new flock members. So I am sure that messes with their hormones.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    My KC is not laying here. It's is really cold, and I've seen both hot and cold temperatures affect laying. I'm sure yours will start again before long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by