runner ducks: one girl one boy OK? what sex are the ducklings plz!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Nov 9, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I hatched 2 runner ducklings last thursday and im 99% sure that i have one girl and one boy

[​IMG]

donald (or donna), the one at the front, i think is a girl, her beak is very pale and she has no distinct markings, but louis (or louise) at the back has black marks on his beak and all over his legs/body, they are trout indian runners (so the seller says)...

anyway what sex do you think they are, i know its hard to tell so soon but was just wondering...

and ive heard that for every boy there needs to be 2 girls, so if this true i need another girl...

or would one girl one boy be ok?

2. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    plus they are related because the lady that sold me the eggs only had one drake... isnt that ducky incest?

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    you can not tell their age yet. you will have to wait until they are about 8 weeks or more when they will either quack loudly (girl) or hiss (boy) then the boys at about 4-5 months old will get drake feathers (curly feather at base of tail)

No breeding them together is not incest persay as birds can be line bred. But if would be good once you see what you have to have 2-3 girls to one boy

4. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Heres the sticky from wifezilla about sexing...pretty sure you said you didnt want to do that...this is the only way to tell so young as far as I know.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181147

How are 99% percent sure about what they are with out vent sexing? I thought muscovies were the only babies you could tell because of size...

5. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:coz the one at the front has a very pale beak (that means girl doesnt it?) and the one at the back has a darker beak and black markings over his body, so i think hes a boy, but im considering taking them to an avian vet to get them sexed by a pro

6. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Beak color doesn't matter with runners.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    the only way to tell at this age is vent sexng, no matter the color... only certain breeds can kinda be sexed by color as babies.

Wait another two weeks and they'll start making new noises... if you have girls at all, at two to three weeks old, they start making new noises that sound like "whacks". Not all girls will start at the same time, and some may take up to 4-6 weeks, but sometimes they'll let you know earlier. My old ducks peter and vinny both announced they were girls around 3 weeks old, while ollie waited til 5 weeks.

8. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:thanks, i only need to know after they change from growers pellets really so i know what feed they need, i know you said drakes can have layers but id rather give drakes maintainance, money is no issue because ive found a great website that sells 20KG bags of feed for less than £10.. plus if i have 1 boy/ 1 girl il need another girl

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    you'll know before you'll need to switch their food.

10. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    plz be the same sex lil duckys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by