Runner ducks, tell me about them!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aleciasayshii, Aug 7, 2009.

1. aleciasayshii

aleciasayshii Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    I'm getting my duck a girlfriend, not to breed him of course. He's a muscovy. But he needs a companion haha.

And I think they are absolutely beautiful. [​IMG]

When I introduce them, if I do get one, do I need to keep them seperate from a few days, but close enough to see each other through a fence?

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Your duck probably needs at least two or three girlfriends. [​IMG] Otherwise, he may overmate and injure the one... Also, I'm hoping someone will chime in here on the wisdom of keeping a lightweight breed duck with a heavyweight muscovy... there may be some concern there, but I'm not sure.

On the subject of Runners, though, I LOVE 'EM! [​IMG] They are so funny and cute, and they come in an amazing array of colors. They are good egg layers, and will keep you entertained.

Your plan for introduction sounds about right. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they're getting along after you put them together. And to help the bonding process, you may want to keep them confined for a few days or a week once you put them together. They may fight a bit at first, but just make sure they're not injuring each other and otherwise stay out of it. They'll work it out.

Good luck!

3. aleciasayshii

aleciasayshii Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    If only I could get a few, it's either one, or none. I would rather my feet not be his girlfriend. Do you think it will make him timid? Since he is VERY people friendly and the duck I get will most likely... not be. Yeah, I plan to seperate them for a few days. After we fence off our porch. Which should be next week. He is a poop machine and he always wants inside. :p. Silly guy.

The only other duck I'd be willing to get is a khaki or a cayuga. But I've got my heart set on a runner. [​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Cayugas are gorgeous, and larger, so possibly a better match. But I really don't know--honestly, I keep geese with my ducks, so there is a huge size disparity there. But my geese don't try to mate the ducks, and that's where I would worry a bit about the size difference.

Anyway, one is DEFINITELY better than none. [​IMG] Just keep an eye on them and make sure she stays in good condition. If you notice her developing bald spots, that's a good sign he's working her too hard. You might have to separate them at that point.

Yes, he will become less friendly once he has a same-species companion. But that doesn't mean he'll suddenly become wild. And he will be SO much happier--imagine if your only companion were your dog, and then one day a wonderful, beautiful, compatible human being came into your life. You probably would not spend as much time with your dog any more. But you would still love her, cherish her, and spend time with her, just not as much. And you would be SO much happier. That's what it's like for the duck.

So go on and get him a girlfriend. He will be grateful. [​IMG] Just make sure the size difference isn't a problem first!

Heather

5. aleciasayshii

aleciasayshii Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    Yes, I know he will be very very very happy. It's been hurting me how unhappy he's been since he's hit maturity. He's been out of control lately. It takes atleast 30 minutes of talking and petting to calm him down. This should calm his nerves though, right?

He's a sweetheart underneath all this frustration though. So I'm not too worried. I just might have to not let them spend a lot of time together at first. [​IMG]

6. I'm glad you can get a companion duck for your drake. I wonder if after having such a people friendly duck you may be disappointed with a Runner, they tend to be very skittish around people and as the cat points out, a muscovy drake would need a larger companion.
    Silver Appleyard ducks are beautiful http://www.pmstudios.co.uk/smallholding/ducks-1/silver-appleyard/slides/D05_5567aw.php and are reputed to be friendly, or also the Saxony http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisanh/3798247206/in/set-72157619513441351/ These are two of the heavy weight duck breeds. You could also get a Pekin http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Pekins/BRKPekin.html or how about a female Muscovy? https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=130753

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  7. aleciasayshii

aleciasayshii Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    I know they are skittish. I never intended on getting another duck. My duck and I were very bonded until he hit maturity and had more than just social needs.

I don't have a lot of options. For some reason I can't find any duck breeders in dallas-fortworth, in texas.

i would not mind a silver appleyard, or a saxony. But I can barely find any breeders here to begin with. I searched craigslist and found a very weak supply of duck species but there seem to be a lot of runners around here. And muscovys. I don't want another scovy though.

I'm not really looking to bond with the duck I'm just getting it so my poor little guy will be happy. He's the only friend I really need. If I wanted to bond with a duck I'd go get a duckling and raise it the way I raised him.

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Are there any farmers markets or flea market type places around you? I know here there is a flea market where people also ducks, chickens, goats, rabbits, etc. Have you tried searching around for any of those?

9. aleciasayshii

aleciasayshii Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    No I haven't actually. Great Idea though [​IMG]

10. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Look for a waterfowl rescue, too. Around here there's Carolina Waterfowl Rescue, and they nearly always have a supply of adult ducks for pet homes. Lots of people raise a duck for a pet (like you did) but then (unlike you) get tired of it and think it's okay to abandon it on a nearby pond. It's wonderful that you take your commitment to the duckie seriously, and are trying to meet all his needs. Good luck with your duck search. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: