Runner ducks wont explore their new pen at all and its been DAYS!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AHappychick, Mar 30, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I moved them into their new home on Friday, well it is now Monday and they almost never leave this one corner. I have gone in flapped my arms and quacked happily showing them the stream and where the food is and all that. I think they are eating and drinking but never see them checking out or walking around, and I mean never. They just stand in this one corner and look scared as all heck! Is there anything I can do? Or does it take a while for ducks to become used to and comfortable with new surroundings? I hope they dont starve themselves, I put the food 3 feet from the corner so it is not like it is far away. The pen is big about 20X20 or larger and it is just 4 ducks at the moment.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It does take them a few days...and runners are afraid of their own shadows.

3. Maybe move their food closer to where they feel safe for the time being. If they have food in them they might feel better and get bolder.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Runners are a nervous duck. It may take them some time. Just keep the food and water where it is and they will eventually have to venture out.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok I will give them more time I am thinking I will go sit in the pen for a while in the opposite corner and see if that makes them feel safer, I really thought they would love it, I hope they do in time it is SOOOOOO much better than my garage.

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    same with mine they have this coner wich they love to deth. There are 2 black rosecombs in there with them and yay there a scared of the rosecomb but the rosecomb hen lad her egg right next to one of the ruuners eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by