Runner ducks won't swim

runningkaren

Chirping
13 Years
May 13, 2008
South Central PA
I have 10, 4-month-old Runner ducks and a 100 by 120 foot farm pond. While these ducks will swim in their water pan, they will not step webbed foot in the pond. Any ideas?

I have had the same problem.
I had a snapping turtle problem. One of the ducks was eaten by a huge snapper and after that the other 9 would not go near the pond. Other predators have gotten 7 others. I am down to 2 ducks.

I trapped and shot 8 snapping turtles. think I have them all but ducks still will not get into pond.

I thought I was the only one that had waterless ducks :>(

Set up a turtle trap. If in 3 days you have nothing then remove the water pan and they will be forced to adapt. Its like switching chickens to a new feeder. Sometimes their scared of it and you have to force them to accept. If there are turtles, be grateful your ducks are smart enough to stay away from predators.

Why did you post this under emergencies?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=81666
hmm.png

Turtle trap http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/turtle-traps/

Last edited:
I was starting to think thatr my ducks would never swim

I would watch them drink out of their pond, but they wouldn't get in

I bought a lower pond, and they love it.

Funny thing, the ducks could walk right into the farm pond on small river pebbles but have to step up 5 inches into their water dish. They go in the water dish!

I am so baffled.

I built a turtle trap out of some fence that is for keeping rabbits out of your garden. found a grate out of a smoker about 15" x 15" to use as a door then made the trap to fit the door. Built a small bait box out of 1/4" hardware cloth and put it on a welding rod so it could be suspended at the back of the trap.
Made a trip wire to let the door close when something ( turtle) hit it trying to get to the bait. I have 4 milk jugs attached with cable ties on each corner to keep it afloat ( 1/2 gallon size ).

Clear as MUD ??? I can take some photos if you want me to :>)

Back
Top Bottom