Runner ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AHappychick, Dec 21, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am hatching runner ducks (at least they have started pipping, anyway I have 5 chicks from 5 days to 1 day old and i was planning on putting them all together once out of the bator. I was told that they can eat the chick starter feed which I give my chicks (its not medicated and organic) Is there anything I should know about? I have been reading some threads and it has become clear that it is harder than chicks. now I am really nervous!!! Any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I think ducklings are easier to raise than chicks. They don't need a heat lamp for as long as chicks do, and they are more naturally disease resistant.

Feed ducklings the same thing you would chicks - nonmedicated starter and plenty of water. They can't digest their food without water, so make sure they never run out. They also need to be able to dip their entire bill in the water, so make sure their waterer will accommodate their bills. Most chicks waterers will work just fine.

When they are still only a day or two old, you can give them sugar water to get them nice and perky. For treats they love plain yogurt mixed with finely chopped spinach and mashed cheerios.

Ducklings are very very very messy with their water. Be prepared to clean the brooder a lot.

Good luck!

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh thank you 4 are pipping now I am sooo excited!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Be sure to take pics when they hatch

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Ok I will! I am still trying to figure out how to upload them but will figure it out lol!

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I have mine on non-medicated poultry crumbles. They are doing great! I also was putting a deep bowl of a spinach, lettuce, celery, tomato mix in water (food processor) into the tub for them to hang out and each and make a mess for an hour. Then I would rinse the tub and fill it up for them to go for a swim. Helps with messes and gets them extra nutrients.

My thoughtful husband stopped at the fishing supply shop and got them some grubs as well. Loved them!

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My duckies are 100 times easier than chicks hands down! You'll do fine.

8. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have 5 ducklings so far and 2-3 more hatching!!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    hooray!!!!!!!!!! Pics? [​IMG]

10. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    OMG OMG 8 Runner ducks and one more on the way!!!!! I cant believe how successful my hatch was!! It looks as though out of 12 eggs I will have at least 9 I am soooo excited i am going to take a pic of all of them as soon as they are dry and I can open the bator! My chicks are gonna freak when they see there new roomaTES. tHIS IS THE BEST cHRISTMAS PRESENT i COULD THINK OF!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by