Runner Questions (Yes, I am blonde)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mom2Munchkins, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    [​IMG] Ok, here we go....

What is the difference between runners, and indian runners?

If I have an assortment of colors and allow them to all breed together, are they considered "mutts", or just mixed colors??? Just wondering because next year I plan on selling the eggs, but I do have blacks, chocolates, blue/silvers....

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    It's the same breed - it's just that writing out Indian Runner is so tedious, it's shortened to Runner. [​IMG]

If you allow the different colors to interbreed, they're just mixed colors, the breed is still pure - although I know there are some "duck snobs" out there who would disagree with that. [​IMG]

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Runner and indian runners are the same.
    If you don't restrict breeding to like colors then they aren't mutts, but you won't be able to sell them as specific colors. Some of the mixes will look true to one of the parents, some will be unattractive and some will be really cool. Just make sure your customers know they ae gettign a roll of genetic dice for what color their ducks will be.

4. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Ok, I'm sure I'll have more questions next year when I go to sell them.... It's just that an ad was posted today on my local Craigslist for "Indian Runner Ducklings" $15 each.

Opinions??? [​IMG]

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    The colors you are talking about breeding together are an extremely common combination. It is perfectly acceptable. For example, two Blues bred together will result in Black, Blues, and Silvers. Chocolate is in the same series (just the addition of brown dilution to the extended Black). Anyway, breeding those colors together is very common practice. There are certain combinations that are less logical. For example, I don't breed extended Black based birds (like those colors already mentioned) to wild-type based birds (Grey, Blue Fawn, Pastel, Saxony). I also do not normally breed birds with the Runner pattern to Black or wild-type (for example, Fawn and White, Pencilled, Blue Pencilled). HTH, this is the basic answer to how lots of Runner breeders group colors.

6. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Ok, good. But, $15 a duckling?? Is that reasonable?

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It depends on the colour and quantity...And how avaiable they are in your area.

Would you be willing to pay $15 each?? If so that price is fine..If you think its a bit much- wait til you find cheaper ones- Or ask the breeder to lower the price - you never know what deal you may strike.

8. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Well, I already have some... Not sure I'd be looking for more yet. I was just thinking if I could get $15 a duckling, WOW!! [​IMG] Shoot, I was hoping to get $5 each for mine when we get to that point!

9. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    Where in upstate NY are you? I'd be interested in some runners next spring. I can't believe I'm saying that because I just started on ducks this year but I have fallen in love with them.

The feed store where I got mine was selling them for $5 or $6 each, don't know if you're somewhere that they're not available at that price.

10. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree with everything said so far. I do have fawn/whites in my batch with blue & black, but I have a specific plan. I'm working on a blue&white strain that would look like fawn/white but with blue in place of fawn; I'm also trying to stabilize a tri-color "paint" similar to an ancona coloration but in three colors instead of two. The former should be fairly easy--the genetics are well understood and I *believe* should take just a few generations. The latter is more complicated and may take me longer.

I also plan, next year, to have a strain of pure blue, black & splash so I can sell eggs with guaranteed black/blue spectrum colors. The genetics for those are: black is two extended black genes, no dilution. Blue is two extended black genes, one blue dilution. Splash is two extended black genes, two blue dilution. So you can see that interbreeding them does not result in "mutt colors" but rather pure strains of any one of those varieties.

If I were not working on the other two projects, I would stick with one color strain or another, because "pure color" ducklings sell more easily, as do their eggs. But only slightly better--people don't seem to mind too much as long as they are pure breed.

Good luck and have fun--

Heather

P.S. Edited to add--I'm so excited!--I have a duckling in the brooder right now that I believe may be my first true blue/white Runner... can't wait to see how he (I hope HE because he'd make a beautiful flock sire and I'd get to play with his genes more than if it's a hen) feathers out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by