1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runners can lay some eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Dec 18, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Well, I have to say it. My runner ducks are by far better egg layers then my chickens. I don't no what is up with my chickens but the ducks are really making them look bad. I get eggs everyday from all 4 of my female ducks. Why on earth won't my chickens at least try to keep up? Lord knows they are in the duck pen eating their food..... same food in the chicken feeders but you know how it is.... always better at someone elses pen. I have so many chickens too!!! Just not right.... haha.

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    that is so exciting!! One of these days I will get ducks [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yup, crj, the chickens are coasting since they see the ducks handling the egg situation. [​IMG]

Still, I'd give them some slack. Maybe they've got a cold or something. Maybe they're saving up for an egg-laying eggstravaganza!

Glad the ducks are doing so well by you!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Runner ducks always look so funny to me! They do look like track star ducks with their upright look and thin build.......I had no idea they are good layers.....You better have a talk with those chickens......Those runners are running circles around them! [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    [​IMG] my mom is getting a few runners next spring [​IMG] she reallylikes this breed. Glad to hear they lay so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by