Runners, Khaki Campbells, both?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pinkfoxfarm, Feb 4, 2012.

1. pinkfoxfarm

pinkfoxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    ok so im getting ready to place my duck order...
    ive never owned ducks before of my own...but ive worked with them so i figure ive got a good basis, and ive been doing my reserch.

ive decided id like 6 ducks.
    the ducks will be for Eggs and slug patrol!
    i do not have a pond and the area theyll be confined to untill i can get my acerage set up for safe free ranging has a 4ft fence so no strong flyers.

i like Runners, Cayugas, Muscovy, Buffs and Khakis...but im planning on starting small and have decided on Black Runners and Khakis as the best bets for egg production (not interested in the hybrid layers)
    I do want to occasionally pull eggs for the incubator, but 80-90% of the eggs will be eaten/used for baking.

so do i go with a trio of Black runners and a trio of campbels, or do i go for 6 black runners...
    if i go with a mix should i go with a drake of each breed (i wont be seperating them) or 1 male to 5 females...and what does a khaki x black runner look like anyway?

thoughts?

2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    There is a woman in England who sells Campbell Colours at jpsducks.co.uk. They are campbells with 1/16 runner. The picture is on the web site. I have campbells and would love some of these. If you buy both and breed down this is what the 4th generation would look like. What color eggs do you want? Campbell lay white and black runners have a 70% chance of laying blue eggs. I have white eggs and now want some blue egg layers. I would get males of both and maybe 4 females of each.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    For your set up I personally would go for 6 runners.

4. pinkfoxfarm

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    realy curious as to why youd suggest just the runners as opposed to the khakis?!
    as i said in new to ducks of my own and havent realy met enough of any one breed to consider myself "smart" so im just tyring to figure things out and would definatly like to knwo the reasons for the answers too...

right now im thinking of doing 1 black runner drake, 2 black runner hens and 3 khaki hens but im certainly not opposed to just runners...

im not too concerend with egg color...just egg numbers, i generally eat 1 egg per day, and i tend to scramble eggs twice a week for the dogs to have a nommy treat so i need on average 11 eggs per week...
    id love to use duck eggs in baking (i prefer duck eggs for baking)
    and hopefuly have enough to toss into an incubator a couple of times a year
    if after all that i have enough to sell a couple each week even better, but right now im more concerend with feeding myself than selling to others.

im told khakis tend to lay more than runners which is why i thought about adding a couple of khaki girls into the mix just to bulk up the laying...

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally just love runners. Also if you were to cross the breeds there is no guarantee what traits the offspring will inherit. Also, I've heard KC can "fizzle" out after after a few years rather than constant laying over the years.

6. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have 5 Campbells and I really like them. They are friendly little birds. I got mine in early March and since they have started laying they have continued all winter long. Out of the 3 girls I always get 2 eggs and generally 3 a day. I got mine at Rural King which got them from Cackle. Campbells are great little birds.

7. pinkfoxfarm

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    well i placed my order, ive got 6 black runners comming for me...
    i figure i can always get some khakis next spring if i decide i want to try them too.
    There due to arrive the last week of Feb, im very excited :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by