Runners starting to feather, and now I'm MORE confused about color!

aduckstolemyheart

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Missouri
Pic heavy, sorry guys!

Got some more shots of the babies now that everyone is getting in feathers. Thought that would start to solidify what colors they were. Oh no. Now I am twice as confused! lol So all you duck/Runner experts out there, I could use your experience. Any ideas on color yet? Just a reminder there was a fawn and white drake and blue, buff and white hens that could be their parents.

We'll start easy. Everyone was sure that Freckles would be fawn and white. I feel pretty confident that's the case. Here SHE is (yep a hen!) :

freckcolor.jpg

frecklescolor.jpg

and because I <3 this one of her
frecklesmouth.jpg

Now, I still have no idea about Lucky, maybe she's buff or something?? It's weird because her tail and wing feathers have a hint of blue, which is hard to see here:
luckyfeathers.jpg

Here's where it gets weird! I was sure the last two were Blue or Blue and white. Now their feathers almost have a hint of brown/red mixed in with the blue. Am I crazy??

Here's Skillet
skilletfeathers.jpg

skilletfeathers2.jpg

And finally Decoy, my other Blue?
decoyfeathers.jpg

Group shots just for other angles/comparison:
group3.jpg

group.jpg

Thanks for bearing with me, and dealing with all the pics!!!

lau.gif
The ever changing duck colour. OK...ill have a guess (again)
Freckles...F&W
Lucky.......Buff
Skillet......bluey/brown ...like my duck
Decoy......Buff with a bib
But, it doesnt matter what colour they turn out to be they are still cute as buttons
big_smile.png

It's making me crazy! lol I am dying to know their colors! lol I was sure that once feathers started coming in we'd know, but alas, it is not to be! lol

You have one that's blue/brown?? Pics?

I sure do. Her body is brown and on her back the feathers are brown with blue in the middle and her wings are blue
tongue.png

Let me go outside and see if I can get a better close up pic than what Ive got....any excuse for photos. Give me 10 mins
roll.png

Wow! How pretty is she!! She's almost chocolate, but then almost blue!
love.gif

What colors were the parents or do you know?

I keep forgetting that not all these guys fall into the standard color guide, even if they're pure Runners. That and they've got a thousand different color offshoots for Runners, like Apricots and Duskies, and Blue Fawns, it gets hard to know what's really normal! I have been looking for a comprehensive guide to Runner colors with photos of the more recent color variations, and what combinations you can get from breeding what colors, but so far I have struck out.
idunno.gif

Hmmm, was really interested in hearing iamcuriousitycats info about your hens parents! I have not met many Runner breeders and color questions are burning in my mind!

Been trying to find my niche in ducks, something to take me from simply "duck lover" to doing something more productive! I've become quite interested in the possibility of breeding some of the more rare colored Runners, and any genetic info I can learn, or even a website or book to point me in that direction would be awesome if anyone has anything??

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom