Running a chicken business!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mooSa, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mooSa

mooSa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Hi, i didn't know where to post this but this section seemed most fit. Anyways I am planning on running a chicken business and I would like to ask a couple questions that might help me get going.

1) Should I Stick to one breed? (To get same egg color and size)

2) If I should then what breed is best for selling organic eggs?

3) What would best the best incubator to use for a large number of eggs and is most precise, accurate, and effective? (around 400 - 650 eggs)

4) When it comes to packaging, should i stick to a dozen or should i make a larger container? (maybe more than 1 size?)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

1 well if your looking for producers go for the white leghorns and sex link breeds.

2. as above. I have heard there good for that. If you want a breed that will produce less but last more than 2 years I would go with standard breeds.

3. No clue never incubated. but if you need quite a few maybe a sportsman.

4. stay with the dozen especially when with organic 18 at the most. you can also try 6 or 8 pack for those that don't like to buy a lot at one time. Clear containers are especially good if you go brown eggs and organic.

3. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Hello! I don't know how to answer your questions, but from reading everything on here, there is TONS of info on this site. You could spend days/weeks on here gathering info!

I think if you were to just sell organic eggs, you'd probably want to stick to one breed for egg uniformity, but that's just my opinion.

As far as incubators go, I can't help too much there. I just have a LG, and am patiently waiting for my new hovabator to arrive from Cutler.

I think packaging of eggs should be up to you, or maybe what your customers ask for. Maybe offer different sizes to begin with, and see what sells best?

I would think that you would definitely want a laying breed, as opposed to the dual purpose bird, or the meat bird. Do some research on the different breeds, and see what you're most comfortable with. For example, I personally wouldn't want a bird that's flighty. I am more comfortable with a "calmer/friendlier" bird.

That's just my "2 cents worth", though! I think some things are not the right way or the wrong way, it has to be what you're comfortable with.

Good luck with your endeavor![​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Quote:I would start small at first and test your market before you go into the type of investment you are talking about in this post.
    Example: incubators, brooders, coop(s), feed, feeders, waterers, etc. with my first 6 birds I had over $1000. invested with their coop, run (which we built) supplies including feed and grains, etc. I know others have done it cheaper but probably if the majority of chicken owners added up all the costs of getting started, probably spent more than originally planned.

1) Should I Stick to one breed? (To get same egg color and size)

Depends if you are selling eggs and or meat. I grade my eggs by weight (in grams) Sm, Med, Lg and XLg. I rarely get jumbo. When I do get any jumbo eggs I pkg them with the XLg eggs. The small eggs we usually keep or give away.

2) If I should then what breed is best for selling organic eggs?

There is no best breed its how you raise them and you will need to be certified to sell organically if you are going to on as large a scale as you are saying here. You will have to check out your local laws.

3) What would best the best incubator to use for a large number of eggs and is most precise, accurate, and effective? (around 400 - 650 eggs)

I can't answer this question but I'm sure many other members will be able to. I don't know your purpose for hatching eggs but keep in mind that 50% plus that hatch will most likely be Roosters. You will probably want to buy your feed in bulk

4) When it comes to packaging, should i stick to a dozen or should i make a larger container? (maybe more than 1 size?)

My customers prefer the dozen containers. I have tried the 18 pks and they didn't sell well.

Here is a thread you might find interesting.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48239&p=1

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you're doing.​

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    a lot of customers prefer eggs that aren't perfect, but that's generally if you're selling to people who you know. I would do a few breeds for a few reasons.
    1. they're fun to watch if you have more than one color
    2. a lot of customers enjoy different colors and sizes
    3. you can experiment more with which breeds lay better

as for which breed, i would do several of each a white egg layer such as a leghorn, a brown egg layer, like a RIR or plymoth rock, a dark brown egg layer, like a cukoo marans, and a blue or green egg layer like and EE or ameracauna.

that's just my opinion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by