Running A Test - Number Times Topic / Thread Viewed

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

A while ago we removed the functionality to count each time a topic / thread is viewed. This tiny thing doesn't seem like much, but during peak usage of the forum, it could account for a HUGE amount of server resources.

With recent server upgrades and some optimizations we're going to turn this back on for a bit to see how it impacts the server.

Sooooo... we aren't promising that it is here to stay, but it will be good news if we can determine that the impact to our systems is negligible!

2. Good luck! *Negligible impact* is a good thing!.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    This should be interesting! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I'm already seeing some threads (like in this forum), with 3,000+ posts. It seems some threads have new counts, but others are retaining old viewings? Or maybe it's just what I'm looking at. [​IMG]

5. Nifty-Chicken

We didn't "zero out" the view count from when we removed the feature from before, so any topics that existed a few years back will have view counts already. If we end up keeping the feature we'll debate if we should start from scratch or not. [​IMG]

6. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Okey Dokey.

7. Hi! I was thinking it would be useful to see how many times auctions were viewed, but that feature isn't in the auction / for sale section.
    Oh well,
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

8. Nifty-Chicken

Lisa, thanks for the note! If the test goes well (i.e., our servers don't melt) we'll look and see if we can add the counter to BSA listings!

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Definitely surprised me! I had a speck of trouble getting on the the forum. Had to refresh the page a couple of times. May have been when you guys actually changed it over though.

Personally, I like the post count/views in each forum section, but on the main index page it seems to be a bit too much information. We have a LOT of posts!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think it is a huge help for people who think they are being ignored. Knowing that people viewed it and didn't have an answer, well at least people are looking. I think it helps people in the hatching, predators, injuries forums alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by