Running around the yard yesterday... chicken soup tonight

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wsmoak, Oct 30, 2011.

1. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

We processed our first 'extra rooster' today -- I did the killing, scalding and plucking, DH did the butchering.

It was a scrawny little Wyandotte; I wanted to practice on something that I would not feel too bad about throwing out if it all went wrong and we had to give up.

Last night I grabbed him from the chicken tractor after they settled down for the night and put him in a wire dog crate in the garage. This morning I put the crate out near the garden where I had the killing cone set up.

Everything went according to the instructions and videos we studied beforehand. I expected it to make a huge mess, but it really didn't. I plucked on layers of newspaper, and when I got a pile of feathers I'd just roll up that layer and keep going on a fresh sheet. Even the eviscerating didn't make a mess, just a little pile of innards and head/feet.

I wouldn't have cooked him this evening except that I got the scalding water too hot and/or dunked him for too long (or maybe didn't get him cooled down quickly enough) and the breast meat was a little cooked already. A few hours in the dutch oven and then another hour in the soup and the meat was a still little chewy, but certainly edible.

Just thought I'd add another report of DIY success!

-Wendy

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    [​IMG]

3. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I have found that Roos of any description are tough after about 4-5 mos, in the coop or range. Slow poaching, (boiled or slow roaster with a lid and cover (steamed), allows the flesh to full cook and fall off the bone. It still may retain some chewy-ness but at least mine has excellent and distinctive flavor. [​IMG]

Getting past the idea of disecting something you reared and protected is the hardest part. [​IMG]

Myself, I dont name food, but the roos get nicknames anyway. Good work.[​IMG]

4. wsmoak

Quote:The random roosters from this year's (late) hatch just hit 16 weeks, so processing them has been looming on my calendar. I did stick him in the dutch oven, covered, with a quart of water and some herbs until the meat fell off the bone, then back into the broth with rice and other veggies for the soup. The taste is interesting, a bit stronger than the store bought stuff, but not gamey or bad in any way.

We have three more to do, a couple of Easter Eggers that probably aren't going to be much bigger than this guy (they are taller, but not bigger bodied I don't think) and then a BBS Orpington who will probably be the first decent sized one.

Next year we'll do proper meat birds, probably a batch of the red broiler ("Freedom Ranger") and then the regular Cornish-X to see which we prefer to raise and process.

-Wendy

5. wsmoak

The EE's were *slightly* larger, and they got to rest in the fridge for a couple of days, which I think helped. I cooked one of them today and got 8 oz of white meat, about 14 oz total (and I avoided the *really* dark meat, so there was more meat on him that I just didn't use. The cats enjoyed a treat.)

I wouldn't recommend Easter Eggers for meat birds, that's for sure! Loooong legs and neck, not much body, and way too many poofy feathers to deal with.

ETA: I forgot to weigh the one I cooked, but his brother in the freezer is 3 lbs 9 oz.

--
    Wendy

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Good job! I've found marinating in kefir tenderizes any tough cut of meat. Give it a day or three in kefir and then on the grill. I like chicken tikka, or, chicken tikka masala. You can find the seasonings in most groceries. I just substitute my kefir for yogurt, since I always have extra. BTW, kefir is super easy to make, much less fussy than yogurt and has more good bugs in it.

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My EEs all look big but seem very thin compared to my other birds. Not quite ready to lay, sort of slow to mature. They seem to have a bony frame without a lot of muscle. Is this typical? On the other hand, my little buttercups and hamburgs weigh much more than you'd think for their size.

8. themagicash

themagicash Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Austin
    My EE's were thin like a leghorn. They were also hatchery stock so maybe they were a bit smaller.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:I'm going to have to try that! I have kefir around all the time too. Kefir is my buttermilk, my sour cream, and my cream cheese. I just let it drain in muslin till it's the consistency I want. And my goodness what a great cheesecake it makes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by