1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Running out of eggs! Salmonella outbreak

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chicksbestfriend, Aug 26, 2010.

1. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Is anyone out there running out of eggs to sale because of the salmonella outbreak? Boy, since the the recall of eggs, not only are my regular customers buying more than their usual take, I am getting alot more callers for fresh eggs. The disappointment or should I say despair over eggs is also becoming an epidemic! I charge $4 a dozen and $5 for an 18 ct and people are offering me higher prices to hold a line on the eggs! By the way, I am not taking a financial advantage of the demand for eggs, my prices will remain the same. Is anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I haven't run out, but I don't give or sell my eggs and I don't think the recall affected our area.

However, the local farm stand has been out all week and they have a waiting list of call backs.

3. walnuthollow

walnuthollow In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Wow, do you mind my asking what area you are from. We live in on the outskirts of a small town and only get $1.50 dz. Yes, we have been selling out also. I hope they continue to buy after the initial scare wears off. I don't think people realize how much better our eggs are than the store bought.

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Songster

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I had a lady offer to buy my silkie eggs when I told her I had ran out of regular eggs this morning, gave me $4 for 2 dozen happily. I have 3 eggs left in the house and I just collected those. I've gotten calls from about 20 people over the last week. I have a waiting list for ALL sized eggs. As soon as I get a dozen, they are sold!

5. BettyR

BettyR Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    No, the recall hasn't affected our area. But then I live in a very rural area and most people here grow their own.

This is just a small example of how easily the food supply can be interrupted and why it's a good idea to grow as much of your own as you can.

6. chicksbestfriend

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Quote:Wow, do you mind my asking what area you are from. We live in on the outskirts of a small town and only get $1.50 dz. Yes, we have been selling out also. I hope they continue to buy after the initial scare wears off. I don't think people realize how much better our eggs are than the store bought.

I live on the island of Maui in Hawaii. Egg sales for me have always been consistent and good, but now, people are putting in advanced orders for 1 month at a time. I never thought I would see the day where I would have to turn down people for eggs. I run completely out by the end of the day, and folks wanting to show up at 7am in the morning to get the first dozen I collect. I wonder if I should be sitting by their nest boxes egging them on! [​IMG]

trying to say "nest" but it keeps changing my word. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Here too!! Been selling like crazy!! I get $2.00 a dozen! [​IMG]

Missi

8. chicksbestfriend

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Quote:Isnt it awesome? I sold 2 18 ct and 2 12 cts this morning between late egg pick up yesterday and first eggs this morning. I just collected another 11, waiting for another egg to appear so I can call my customer up. I had a new layer lay her first egg today, but cannot put that one in with the mix. I dont think Hawaii was part of the recall list, however, some of the brands of recalls our local stores carry, so that is where the paic is setting in. I also breed and sell egg layers, and you would be amazed how many phone calls I am receiving to see if I vaccinated the chicks for salmonella. [​IMG] No, I do not vaccinate, never had reason to.

9. chicksbestfriend

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Quote:[​IMG] yah Missi, go Missi! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by