1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Running Out of Food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CheekyChooks, May 16, 2011.

1. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    So I ordered a big bag of chick crumb off ebay expecting it to arrive within the week. When it didn't I went and checked online and noticed a notice that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before within the description saying ***Please note wom't be dispatched untill 31st May*** ... Well this is no good, I'm not so low on my feed Im worried I'm under feeding the poor things. I've ordered another bag to come in the mean time but I'm guessing it wont be here untill at least Wednesday.

Is there anything I can give my 4/6 week old chicks to supplement their crumb? I don't have any scracth or grit or whatever as when I got my chicks they guy said he wouldn't bother and he never uses it. This confused me so I left it.

Would scrambled egg do any harm? Would they still need grit to be able to eat it properly???

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Yes you can feed eggs without grit. Do you have a feed store near by? You can also feed some oatmeal get the old fashion kind. But I wouldnt want to do that for long cause they wouldnt get all the nutrition they need fom that.

3. CheekyChooks

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    No, I live very far away from any kind of animal feed store/farm shop. Not many people keep chickens around here because its quite an urban area. I thought I ordered the feed early not realising as they grow they need more and more food and that the crumb would take as long to arrive. I only need to add a little something to make the crumb go as far as Wednesday .... Can't believe I've been so silly as to leave it till I was halfway down my box of crumb ... hopefully a bit of egg won't hurt them and will help them feed fuller.

Is bread okay if I break it up to cumbly bits?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I gave my babies oatmeal one day when I run out of starter and they didn't seem to mind. Eggs would give even more protine, but ether should work for a day or two without ill effects.

5. CheekyChooks

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    OK thanks guys. If it wasn't for work getting in the way I'd make the long trip to get some starter but the online stuff said only one business day handling so I'm thinking it will be here wednesday. I'm gonna pick up some oatmeal to get me to mid week.

Thanks again!

6. CheekyChooks

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    I got some food. I looked online and our local Pets at Home has started stocking chicken feed (all types) due to a popularity is backyard flocks. I rushed down there and luckily they were still open! My chicks are now happily munching away! Thank god for that ... crisis over! hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by