Running out of space... can some go in a pen near chickens?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DFCottage, Oct 27, 2011.

1. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    I know the 2 should stay separated, but I have to leave for 4 days on Saturday and can't process before I go.. a few are starting to squabble and the only other pen I have available is a grow-out pen that is sitting next to a chicken pen. Is it ok for some of the quail to go in there until I return to ease the #'s in the other pen, or is that too close to the chickens?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is the actual physical contact that you don't want with quail and chickens. As long as there have never been any chickens in this pen before and don't use any chicken waterers or feeders, they should be ok for a few days. Be careful that you don't walk from the chicken area into the quail area without first changing your shoes. I think you will be fine for that short time.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. DFCottage

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    The pen I got from a guy that to my knowledge has just had quail in it. All the feeders/waterers I have were used for chickens at some point or another, so I'll just pick up an extra small feeder and waterer for them.

This pen does have a wire floor though, so everything falls to the ground, and the chickens do explore that area. My other quail pen is well away from the chickens in an area they don't go to. Should I be worried about the chickens ranging around this pen after the quail are removed? No one will be ranging around while I am away, but should I be worried about the chickens coming into contact with quail droppings? I can see if I can get this pen moved if need be, but I am a singleton on the farm.. its hard to do anything that needs two people!

Thanks!

4. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Here We Go!

5. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

There are two schools of thought on the subject "Chickens next to Quail" 1) Never ever under any circumstance put them close together, were they can touch and if possible, don't even have them on the same property. 2) Don't house them together, but if both flocks, chickens and quail are healthy and you watch your bio-security, they'll be fine.

You can see where this causes a lot of controversy, because there is no grey area and both sides think they are absolutely right and if you don't do it this way or that you are wrong...People have done it both ways...for years...and that is the qualifying/quantifying statement.

If you can keep them safe and healthy where ever you put them, they will be fine.

(My school of thought is that of #2...is it too late to admit my Belgian D'Anvers are housed in the same building, next to-not with, my quail...on the ground... with no issues)

6. DFCottage

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Didn't meant to start any controversy, (and certainly not a popcorn-popping worthy thread). I practice excellent biosecurity on the farm, but being new to quail, just wanted to know the best way to do things. I think to prevent any issue I might just have a late night and go ahead and process everyone later tonight.. I don't want to cause any issue whatsoever for my chickens, or the quail.. The main pen the quail are in now is quite a distance from the chickens, and this grow out pen, while it is next to a chicken pen, there is no way they could come in contact due to 2 walls inbetween them. I was just concerned about the droppings being in an area that the chickens can roam in when they are let out.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    O know here we go!!! I gotta do it!! Here's my quail pen & right next door is my chicken coop. They've been living this way for around 8 months. Here's my chicken saying hi to the quail LOL. You never know its like sending your child to school he could possibly get sick. I've read on this forum that the wind can blow their germs to the other coop & the birds will get sick. Maybe so but I doubt it. I do tend the quail first & then blow my shoes off with an air compressor before entering my quail pen.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  8. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    There are 2 things that are an absolute certainty with this quail forum.

1) The "can I keep quail with my chickens" question will always cause controversy among posters.

2) 7L will post the pic of his quail pens at least once a day, lol.

9. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:They are good looking pens though! [​IMG]

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:They are good looking pens though! [​IMG]

Dang right and I'm proud of em!! Maybe I'll start posting them twice a day. I think birds need alot of space . Trying to convey the message. Bob's need alot of space. Coturnix are different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by