Runny brown poop?

henney

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Reno Nevada
I have a 13 wk Ameracauna pullet. She is loosing her feathers slowly, lesless and has runny poop, no white or blood in it. She eats good, growers pellets, fresh greens everyday and scratch in the evening as a treat. My other Ameraucan looks better, than her. Do you think she is molting early and is stressed?
Thanks

When I first got my chickens, I was giving them scratch everyday. Not alot, but still, it was everyday. They ended up getting some nasty diarrhea. Many members of BYC said to stop giving the scratch and within a couple of days, all poo was back to normal.

So, maybe try cutting out the scratch or only give it occasionally.

I think Chickaroo may be on to something; I fed more scratch than I probably should have the first year I had chickens, too, and I noticed they looked much better when I cut it WAY back. Now, I only feed scratch on the coldest days of winter, and only a handfull for each 6-8 adult chickens.

If your chickens otherwise appear healthy what you are seeing might be cecal matter as opposed to fecal matter. I noticed that when I increased the amount of greens that I was giving the girls I too was observing the same thing. You might want to do a little reading, it might ease your mind. Don't worry I sure that is what you are seeing and they will be fine. Also they discharge the cecal matter early in the day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I'll cut back on the scratch. Yesterday, I gave them two handfuls to get them in the run and in the evening my husband gave them two handfuls before they went in their run. Maybe that would cause Henney to have a small bump on her crop and have the runny poo in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom