Runny brown poops, DE, and hen tucking head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristenm1975, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Got a few questions for the more experienced chicken keepers out there. I have a hen who's had runny brown poop for at least two weeks, and I'm wondering if it's a problem. None of the hens look sick or lethargic or are behaving any more strangely than chickens normally behave. I started putting DE in their feed when I suspected they had worms or something going on, and for a week, the poops solidified, but the runny ones have been appearing again.
    Not sure what I should try next. Any suggestions?

We got our first eggs this weekend and would love to eat them, but the hens are still getting a small amount of DE mixed in with their food, so I'm wondering if it's bad for us to eat the eggs if they have that stuff in their systems. What's the general rule?

The hen we believe is laying the eggs is a Silver-Laced Wyandotte and appears to be totally healthy, but I have noticed a couple of different things with her this week. A) she has been drinking more water than the others, but then it's been hot where we are and it might simply be that she's thirstier; and B) she's started tucking her head under a wing when she rests during the day, just started doing it in the last three days or so, and hadn't seen her ever do it before. Does this seem normal?

Last question. I'm moving my little flock of four hens to a new home that will be about an hour and a half's drive away and putting them into a different coop than they've ever been in. I heard I'm supposed to give them vitamins to help them adjust, but how do I do that?

Thanks so much for any answers you can give!

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    what kind of DE are you using? is it Food Grade?

what all do you feed them?

can you take a fecal sample to a vet for a fecal float/test to check for worms and protozoa (cocci)?
    this is the best way to determine if they have worms or cocci.

check the area for anything bad they could be getting into..dead rodent for example, compost pile, kitchen scraps that have gone bad, stagnant water,
    and check that feed is cleaned up..and also that it isn't moldy..

if they have been drinking more then usual because of heat, it will make the droppings loose.
    but so will a lot of other things, such as something they're eating or drinking, or worms and cocci..
    or some sort of bacteria.

if you are giving food grade DE it won't hurt the eggs.

cut back on any veggies or fruit treats..see if that firms the droppings up..

if it were me, I'd get a commercial wormer such as Wazine 17.... ASAP..
    and treat..the treatment is for one day.
    see if the droppings firm up..

if not..have a cocci med on hand..either Corid (amprolium) or Sulmet liquid..available at most feed/farm stores or online at First State Vet Supply
    or other poultry/livestock supply, or jefferslivestock.com
    both have toll free phone numbers.

electrolytes are good for stress..and vitamins won't hurt..but wait till after the treatments are done..
    and then give the V and E and some yogurt.

V and E available online as above if you can't get them at local farm/feed store.

3. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks so much for all the good suggestions. I have not had much luck in finding meds for chickens in the feed stores near me (in Seattle), so online resources sound like a great idea. Last time I was in the feed store asking about chicken wormer, the girl behind the counter said she'd never heard of such a thing. [​IMG] And this was way out in the sticks on Whidbey Island. Funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by