Runny discharge from vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kidd42, Dec 21, 2009.

1. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    I hope someone can stear me into the right direction with this issue. One of our 9 month old Austrolorpes appears to have had a broken soft shell egg sticking out of her vent yesterday. I gentle removed the egg, and isolated her from the flock for a few hours. she was picking at food and drinking water while isolated. I put her back with the flock, and she just stood alone for a few minutes then went into the hen house and into a nesting box as if she wanted to lay an egg. afetr a few minutes she came back out. I kept checking on her through out the rest of the day, she would pick and scratch but I don't think she was eating a whole lot. She put herself to bed with the rest of the flock and got up on the roost. This morning she is up and out with the rest of the flock, doesn't seem to have a real interest in the greens I gave the girls, but I did notice that she seems to have a runny discharge dripping out of the vent. It appears to be a combination of egg white and white poop. Ant advice on whet I am dealing with here?
    I thinking I need to seperate her from the flock and try and get some food down her. But what else should I be doing? Any advice or knowledge to what is going on with her is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. kidd42

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    I'm keeping this post active hoping for some advice.

3. kidd42

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Any suggestions?

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    can you feel another egg waiting to come out?

bathe her bottom in warm water and see if you can feel any more shell up inside. dont forget to lube your finger

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Just keep a close eye on her for now. It may be nothing to worry about. If you see any other signs or problems then you can worry.

6. lvmychickens

lvmychickens New Egg

Jul 2, 2009
    Help. I have the same problem but didn't see any egg coming from her. I have a RIR hen that isolated herself yesterday but I got her back in the coop then today she still isolated herself and I notice a white stringy substance coming from the vent area. She is drinking a lot but doesn't want to eat. Any suggestions? She is away from the flock for tonight, have her penned up separately.

7. kidd42

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    It looks like my girl bounced back. She became more active as the day went on and was hanging around the rest of the flock. She never really isolated herself, just when I stepped in and put her in the dog crate for a few hours. She was eating and drinking yesterday, and put herself to bed on the roost with the rest of the girls. I'm sure that I just over reacted. Thank you for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by