Runny Droppings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by briznian, Feb 24, 2009.

1. briznian

briznian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Davis County, UT
    I got six new chicks last Thursday. All six appear to be progressing quite well but one is still having quite runny droppings. The other chicks' droppings have firmed up quite a bit and look normal. The one chick with the runny droppings does spend a lot more time at the waterer drinking than the others. She doesn't appear sick otherwise.

I am curious to see if this is normal or not. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    [​IMG] It is normal to have a runny one about every 6th poo. Is it every one?

3. briznian

Feb 24, 2009
    Davis County, UT
    I have never observed her having a solid one.

4. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    If it is green it could imply that she is not getting enough food. There are some very good links on here with pictures to describe different poos. I will look for you and post it.

OK, here it is......

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

If you do a search at the top for runny poo you can see others on the forum who have had this same problem. Could be stress if they were shipped etc.

5. briznian

Feb 24, 2009
    Davis County, UT
    Thanks for the link!

She appears to eat more than the others and drinks more than the others. I wonder if her droppings reflect the quantity of liquid she takes in?

6. briznian

Feb 24, 2009
    Davis County, UT
    Quote from the link above: "Watery droppings can be produced by hens which are too hot. It can be a way for them to cool down by drinking a lot and losing some of their heat in frequent wet droppings. It can also be a sign that the hens are not eating enough too."

She does drink a lot. I'll try lowering the heat some and see if that helps her out. Thanks again!

7. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    How old are they? Do you have a thermometer in the Brooder? Also, what color is it? Sorry for all the questions but different colors mean different things.

8. briznian

Feb 24, 2009
    Davis County, UT
    They are six days old. The droppings are a watery clear-brown color. The thermometer shows ~95-96 degrees.

9. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Well the temp sounds OK. The first week a 100 watt bulb is good and the temperature must be 95 degrees and decrease 5 degrees a week.

If they huddle all together in a group, they are too cold and if they are scattered around happily the temp is OK.

The one who has runny poo just watch out for "pasty butt". You might just have to make sure it stays clean so the poo can come out easily.

Maybe someone else will chime in here about the runny poo. Maybe you are right with the water and maybe raise the light if you can to take it down a degree. You will probably be OK. Enjoy them! They are so much fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by