Runny Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elizabeth Ann, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Elizabeth Ann

Elizabeth Ann Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    Wayland, MI
    I know this question has been addressed before but being a new egg I still have to ask about this. My chicken, Baby (my 2 1/2 year old named her) who is kind of neurotic anyway (the chicken, not my kid), was laying for a couple of weeks. This is the only time she has ever laid. Now she has stopped but every couple of days she lays a runny egg early in the morning because it's half frozen when I go out there at 8am. She eats the same as everyone else - egg layer crumbles, scratch, and leftovers - and the rest of the chickens lay perfectly normal eggs. What is the deal? I'm not sure hold old she is but I think 1-3 years.

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Quote:I'm unclear what you mean by runny egg. Do you have a photo you can post? Does the egg have a soft shell, or is she laying without a shell? Or is she having diarrhea maybe?

3. Elizabeth Ann

Nov 4, 2008
    Wayland, MI
    I did not get a picture but I will try. It is a soft shell with a solid yolk. No diarrhea. She eats and poops fine.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are you offering her oyster shell? The layer feed I buy has calcium added, but I think the oyster shell is good insurance.

5. Elizabeth Ann

Nov 4, 2008
    Wayland, MI
    No I did not give her oyster shell but she does get egg laying food. My other chickens are eating the same thing and they lay eggs just fine. Does she have something wrong with her? She is a little neurotic (sp?). She is a very nervous chicken.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If I'm not mistaken some hens can have a calcium absorption problem, in which case the eggs won't get better. If it only happens once or twice I would just consider it a glitch in her egg laying system.

7. Elizabeth Ann

Nov 4, 2008
    Wayland, MI
    Thank you for your advice. I will keep an eye on her and add supplements to her diet if necessary. Maybe it is just a glich and she will start to lay some good eggs soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by