Runny Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mnewman, Oct 23, 2014.

1. mnewman

mnewman Hatching

Oct 23, 2014
    I've got a few hens with runny, goopy eyes. I have not noticed any sneezing or coughing. I would like to treat naturally if I can before turning to meds due to medication residue in the eggs. What do you recommend?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Most respiratory diseases of chickens affect the eyes as well as the reproductive tract as the cells there are very similar, and are often very serious diseases...

I'd be using freshly minced raw garlic in their food, personally, two cloves per hen per day approximately. Even one clove should do it. You can add it with their grain, or in wholemeal sandwiches or whatever if they don't like the taste, but I wouldn't add it to yoghurt right now because when the respiratory or mucosal systems are suffering, dairy products can actually be the straw that breaks the camel's back so to speak. You could also add it to their water, but I think that's less efficient probably than directly feeding it. I'd give them raw garlic daily for a minimum of a week.

Other antiviral, antibacterial etc herbs include oregano, rosemary, cayenne, cloves, well really pretty much most herbs we eat have some medicinal properties that help against viruses.

Are you sure it's not an environmental issue? Some chooks can be allergic to things like pollen etc.

Also a good idea to go looking for diseases which match the symptoms to be sure. If you google/search terms like 'poultry disease chart' or 'poultry disease atlas/encyclopedia' you'll come across some real gems.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: