Runny nose and sneezing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GhettoRoo, Oct 26, 2014.

1. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Hello.
    So my rooster had a runny nose and sneezing.. But after sneezing there is a silence for under 1 minute. But after sounds like wheezing till sneeze..
    So, what to do? Now he is one away from flock in warm.
    Antibiotics like duramycin 10, and tylan ? Hope we have there this kind.
    Wanna buy Grapefruit seed extract too, more natural.

Do I need to de-Worming him? FEnbendazole 10% ? Mby our vet pharmacy have these, but if not will look for somethin similar.

And besides this, on of my chickens 6-7 Months old is like 3 months old, wit no weight, under 1 kilo. Bubble eyes, wet eyes, bla bla bla, guess she's very sick, tommorow will look if she havent gapeworm.. Making a souds like, when chickens ar young they ar making sounds, this one is old, and is makin similar..

But important is about rooster.. But the sick hen,, cant call she a hen, cuz twice as size smaller than others.. mby she will infected other, but she is like this as i remeber, 2 months at least. But everybody else if fine...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess is that your rooster, and possibly your pullet, have a respiratory disease. This would explain the sneezing, bubbly eyes, and wheezing. Have you introduced new birds recently? New birds can bring in disease. Or, your birds may have been carriers and only now are showing symptoms.

I would treat them using the Tylan. This is a good antibiotic for respiratory diseases. Keep in mind that it will only work if the disease is bacterial. Viruses cannot be treated by antibiotics, though antibiotics can still be helpful, as they prevent secondary bacterial infection. Also, remember that though the symptoms may dissapear after antibiotics, birds will always be carriers once they have had a respiratory disease. They may show symptoms gain during times of stress and could infect other birds. Many choose to cull birds with respiratory infections and start over.

If your pullet hasn't grown and still acts like a chick, she may have an internal problem. I would also check her for lice and mites, as they can deplete a birds energy and affect growth. Worms are definitely possible as well. I'd deworm just in case.

Best wishes to you and your birds.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  3. GhettoRoo

Oct 7, 2014
    The hen probably had that respiratory disease. But she isnt sneezing, mby, dont hear or see, but have bubbly eyes..
    I buy 8 pullets 2 months old of them in march, but in first night they got attack by some predator, one got eaten, others get away in free range, hidden.. And they ar growing for me each in other size, but average is okey..

Young rooster, now almost 6.5 months old, I buy him before 4 months.. But he havent wet eyes, only sneeze, dont see wet in beak to, just sneeze and see some liquid spray out.. Young rooster before 1 week, get attacked by old rooster, and get shocked..
    But he was sneezing before, but not so often when while roosting today.. Very often he opens his beak as open as can. He had been a swoolen wattles, and under beak, after ked pecked in wattles, then get puss in there, and after 1-2 days, all pumped up, but now is okey..
    So, I look for some antibiotics.. Can I cross it with electrolyte? Antibiotics I would give with water, electrolyte just in case, cuz hear a lot that can help in lot of ways..
    Btw, about carriering, I think they will get these disease around there, mby because of some stress or shock in some period..

4. GhettoRoo

Oct 7, 2014
    Actually in daytime he isnt sneezing, wheezing.. Mby often.. While roosting, then only.. But I put him yesterday from 0 degrees (celsius) to +20-30+.. Mby that affect it.

5. GhettoRoo

Oct 7, 2014
    Looks like my hen brooded home chickens will have some viruses, they are not vaccinated. But old hens looks alright..
    There are 6 six home brooded, from wich 2 have bubbly eyes, yesterday one of them havent.. And from 7 wich i buy 4 months ago, think they would bee vaccinated, one is the first who wasnt look healthy 2-3 months ago.. But now only now I understand she isnt just weak, but had the viruses in her. So i cull here, from coop to another place.. And one more from them are bubbly eyes..
    I am giving them all GSE.. and de-wormed them all.

6. GhettoRoo

Oct 7, 2014
    Actually i had two questions:
    It's very possible to vaccinated bird get a virus?
    So, and If my main rooster had virus, and get well with it, but he possible is a carrier.. Could i kind a make him no carrier? I just want to mate him with his breed hens, and make for self and for selling..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by