Runny nose & eye - pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jennac116, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Jennac116

Jennac116 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    I got two old English bantams roughly two weeks ago, noticed my rooster was gasping yesterday morning so checked him and his nostrils were blocked. I cleaned them the best I could but he was still gasping. Got some soluble ocytetracyclin but lost him last night. My hen had a little clear discharge from one nostril but seemed to be ok. Made a new batch of the ocytetracyclin for her today but now her eye has gunk in it and she's scratched it. Please help! Will I also lose her? Can I save her?

[​IMG]

2. chickengirl1230

chickengirl1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and welcome to byc!! I'm sorry to hear about your chickens. I believe they have an upper respiratory infection. I had two with it and here's how I helped them.
    1.) Isolate all the chickens showing signs to prevent spreading
    2.) mix olive oil and apple cider vinegar in their water
    3.) I had an antibiotic I also put in their water that fights bacteria that the doctor gave me for a uti and I used what I had left
    4.) several times daily, put saline solution in their eyes and massage the neck.
    These steps helped to save mine after these steps are completed all you can do is cross your fingers, wait and pray for the best. Hope this helps and I wish you luck!
    Taylor

3. Jennac116

Feb 18, 2015
    How much olive oil and ACV per gallon? Mixed with the ocytetracyclin or seperate?

4. chickengirl1230

I believe it would be safe to mix. I didn't measure it but make sure you don't put too much in there because then they won't want to drink it. I would say I put about 1/6 cup of olive oil and about 2 or 3tsp of ACV

5. Jennac116

Feb 18, 2015
    Thanks!

6. chickengirl1230

No problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by