Runny nose, foul smell, limp...!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChickChick, Nov 8, 2013.

1. CrazyChickChick

CrazyChickChick New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    Hi,
    I rescued a 3-4 month old chicken from an organic farmer friend, as he was going to let her die if she didn't fight off this bug.

INITIAL SYMPTOMS: Right foot held up toward her body. Runny nose, coughing/sneezing, gurgling sound sometimes when breathing, small size compared to her siblings, some round worms in her poop, but otherwise normal variations in feces.

MY ACTIONS:
    Week 1: Chicken feed, vitamin drops, apple cider vinegar, crickets, meal worms, sunlamp;
    Week 2: Same as week 1, Duramycin 10 (500-700mg/day +/-).

STATUS: She's not eating or drinking as much as she did her first week, so I've been giving her more apple and worms, as she always eats them, even when they're powdered with Duramycin. She's put on a couple ounces and is taking better care of herself (preening). She's not wheezing as much, nor is she coughing quite as much, but her cough/sneeze persists. She's now walking and is jumping up a foot of the ground to roost at night, but she's still limping and seems pretty weak. Her worm problem doesn't seem to bad, so I've not tried deworming her, and won't until she improves.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is? After nearly three weeks, i'd have thought she'd improve a lot more. She's better, but still seems like she has another 30-40% to improve. The respiratory issue hasn't abated as much as I'd hoped either. Am I missing something here? I figured Coryza, but I thought this would clear up sooner. Advice???

Thanks!!! She's living on my kitchen floor, and I'm going a bit crazy with the situation, but don't want to kick her out until she's stable.

//matt

2. silkiechick1994

silkiechick1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    I'm going through the same thing with my flock minus the round worms. From what people say I think mine is MG (Mycoplasma Gallisepticum). It fits for all the symptoms you described too. I've given them Tylan 50 and it helped some but I can't say for sure how much since its only been a day. You can get it at tractor supply or the co- op. Hope this helps some and good luck.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A foul odor is a good indicator of Infectious Coryza. Personally I'd cull. She will remain a carrier for life and infect other birds. Medicines only treat symptoms, not cure the disease.
    To treat coryza, (no cure) you have to give her meds specifically for coryza; tylan 50 injectable and a sulfa based drug such as sulfadimethoxine.
    However, the FIRST thing you need to do is worm her. The worms are weakening her immune system and sapping her strength. Purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer and dose her 1/2cc orally undiluted with either wormer. Then repeat dosing in 10 days.
    I highly recommend that you feed her scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk for a few days after worming, then mix it with her feed for a few more days. Then just plain layer feed...no treats. You need to get her on a proper diet.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You'll know for sure if the tylan is working by the 5th day.

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    For wormer, I would actually suggest Wazine. It's MEANT for Chickens, but I've also used it on Rabbits with success for their own worms (round worms and pin worms).

6. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    You need to worm her. Worms will zap the immune system as well as take vital nutrition that she needs.

7. CrazyChickChick

CrazyChickChick New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I dewormed with Wazine, and WHOOO!!! seven long worms. yikes. Soo happy about getting them out of her. She looks better, but still has sniffles and coughs a few times a day. Her leg, once recoiled to her body, is now pretty much totally fine. Barely a limp. She's still pretty small, when compared to the other chickens at the farm from which I rescued her. I think she's 5 months, or so, old. Her comb has just come in and her face is much redder and healthy-looking now.
    Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with her? Sniffles, clear, runny nose. Smells pretty funky still, though not as bad as a week or two ago. Her eyes look fine. She's been on Duramycin for 2.5 weeks now, and was dewormed six days ago. Should I keep her on it or go to something else now?

thanks again for all your help. so nice having this community.
    //matt

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she has coryza, she may need the Tylan or better, sulfadimethoxine (brand name Di-Methox) for treatment. Wazine only gets roundworm, but the other worms like capillaria (hairworms) and cecal worms are not touched. Since she should be wormed again around day 10, I would get some Safe-guard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen as Dawg53 recommended. Here is a good link on worms, but disregard the recommendation on using ivermectin for worms since they have built up resistance to that drug over the years: http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens

Here is a link for sulfadimethoxine: http://www.jefferspet.com/product.asp?pn=A2-DA&green=2ddf7002-2e9e-ce46e9-a9ce-a28fde95babc

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  9. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    X2. I would say it was coryza also. A while ago my flock got coryza, and my flock had all the same symptoms. I had to start all over with my chickens.

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    X 3....that smell is THE indicator.... Dawg53 is the expert.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by