1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runny nose hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannon84, Jan 9, 2017.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    It's been below zero here for the past 4 days, and my hen is molting, I noticed she has a runny nose, not severe or anything, just a slight case. Other chickens are fine. She's eating and drinking good too. Anything I should or can do? What could it be? Thanks guys!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is clear and she is not sneezing, wheezing, having watery/foamy eyes, then she may just be reacting to the cold or have irritation. Molting seems to bring about problems, so keep an eye on her to make sure that she is getting enough to eat and drink, and not having runny poops. I like to use probiotics such as plain cultured yogurt in small amounts, added to the chickens feed or to some chopped scrambled eggs twice a week for help with immunity. Egg, tuna, high protein game bird feed, or dry cat food can be added to increase protein during her molt. Here is a good list of respiratory and other diseases with symptoms that you can read over:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    OK I'll give her some tuna, I just crushed up raw garlic and put some in their water I may add it to the tuna as well? I read that on some chicken website that it is like a cure all, do you know anything about that? I've been giving her mealworms, chick starter feed and black oil sunflower seeds for her molt. They always have acv in their water daily. I can hear hear nose some when she breaths. But nothing load or crazy . Thank you so much for the link too btw!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by