1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

runny nose, mucus in eye, 5 months old!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by markandamy06, Nov 5, 2013.

1. markandamy06

markandamy06 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2013
    We just started our chicken adventure, and so far we have LOVED it. However, this weekend we went to our first chicken swap and decided to bring home two beautiful buff orphington pullets. They were 5-6 months old. Beautiful birds. We looked them over very carefully, top to bottom, and found nothing wrong with them. Very active, very healthy looking. We put them in a crate to introduce them to our other chickens and left them in the run for about 5 hours while we went about our business. That evening we let them loose and the other chickens welcomed them with open arms. However, I noticed that the smaller pullet had a runny nose (at this point, she had not eaten, drank, or done anything with the other chickens other than check the other chickens out). I thought that maybe she just had it from being in the cold all day -- it was pretty cold here in VA, but not cold enough to drive my chickens into their coop. My rooster had a slight runny nose when I first got him, but it went away after 24 hours and has never returned (he's also 6 mos). So I thought the same would happen with her.

Anyway, I've been watching her for a few days (got her on Saturday). She doesn't really sneeze or cough or anything. I thought she might actually be younger than the other, because she is a tad smaller. She also doesn't seem to be as active, but she is eating a LOT and drinking perfectly fine. Then this afternoon I noticed she seems to be feeling better, less runny nose. However, I also noticed around her neck that she might be molting!? Is that normal for a 6 month old buff???? To my knowledge, she's never laid an egg yet. After drinking the fresh water (I added a little less than a tbs of apple cider vinegar), I noticed that her nasal passages were almost completely shut and she was breathing through her mouth every so often. Then, it was like she had some gurgling snot going on, like she had a stuffy nose, and then her eye started bubbling with mucus!? Needless to say, I'm very very very confused right now. Help???

She is currently quarantined because I don't want to take that risk. She is eating regular scratch grain, cracked corn every 3 days, and ranging as much as possible.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She might have a mild respiratory disease. Many respiratory diseases are hidden, until a chicken becomes stressed out. Its probably viral, in which case antibiotics won't treat it (but will help prevent secondary bacterial infections). Give her some electrolytes and probiotics to help strengthen her immune system. Keep her isolated for now.

The runny nose could also be due to dusty bedding, or high ammonia levels.

As for the feather loss, if she's six months old, she might just be growing in a new set of feathers. Chickens go through several sets of feathers before they become adults. Its also possible that other chickens are pecking at her. Do any of the chickens look like they are picking at her? Check her for mites and lice, too, as they can cause feather loss.

3. markandamy06

Nov 5, 2013
    Just checked her. It looks like out of the entire group, she does have some little bugs going on under her feathers. What would you suggest we treat her with if she already has mites?

No one in the group is really picking on her, in fact, most of the time, our EE Roo protects her. The other hens chase her every now and then to let her know her pecking order, but otherwise, I've never seen them peck at her. I will have hubby get some probiotics at TSC tomorrow. Hopefully that helps!

She has been in the coop since Saturday. Hopefully none of my other chickens get it :(

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You can dust with Sevin 5% dust, or use a spray like Poultry Protector (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/manna-proreg;-poultry-protector-16-oz). If she's not laying (or you're not eating the eggs) you could alternatively use Frontline for dogs and cats or Adams Flea and Tick Spray.

5. markandamy06

Nov 5, 2013
    Awesome, thank you so much!!! We already have the Poultry Protector, so I will just use that :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by