Runny nose, runny/matted eye, 1 has swollen eye, 1 cannot walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blondie_gal, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Blondie_gal

Blondie_gal New Egg

Mar 6, 2009
    I bought my 9 BO's and 1 guinea about 2 weeks ago. They are 23 weeks old, and my guinea is about 27 weeks.
    I've never had chickens before. One of my girls started to get a runny nose a few days after I got them. Now she had a badly matted eye yesterday morning and could not walk properly, and 2 more has runny noses and eyes. I was told by the lady that I bought them from to give them 1cc of Tylan, and separarte the sick ones. I have, and now one of my girls has alittle bit of a swollen eye. HELP [​IMG]
    I have already fallen in love with my darlins, I'm not quit sure what else to do [​IMG]
    I'm feeding them laying pellets and crushed shells bought from the feed store, and hey for the coop and boxes. I have only found 3 really small, soft shell eggs.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd probably put liquid vitamins in their water and give some extra animal-sourced protein. Lots of people offer yogurt. Maybe some electrolytes if they are not eating well. Probably a little plain Neosporin on the eyes. Just supportive care. Not sure there is much you can do, really, without finding a chicken vet (good luck!) and spending heaps of money. I have had chickens recover from this sort of thing. I did a little research and found there are several possible causes. No way I am rich enough to get aggressive with treatment.

3. Blondie_gal

Blondie_gal New Egg

Mar 6, 2009
    I started looking closer at her feet ( girlie who can't walk right) It looks like she, in human looking, broke her toe. Its the middle toe. what do I need to do?
    I figure thats why she can't stand up or walk. PLEASE give advise.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would straighten it out and splint it. A bandaid might be strong enough. No experience with this; might try a search to see of someone has succeeded at this. There is also a problem of "curly toe" which happens to some chicks and which I also have no experience with. Again, might try a search, or a new thread if needed.

5. Blondie_gal

Blondie_gal New Egg

Mar 6, 2009
    thank you ddawn for your advice [​IMG]
    I'll try that also [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by