Runny nose/sneezing 2 month old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aliciafr26, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Aliciafr26

Aliciafr26 New Egg

Sep 21, 2010
    Florida
    Hello, I have a black Australorp that is about 2 months old and she just started sneezing and has a runny nose. No other chick in the flock seems to have it. What is the best thing to give her? If anybody knows, I would be extremely grateful for any input! Thanks so much!

2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I'm sure there are many others who know more about this than I do. I am not very experienced. I got my first pullets in May at 8 weeks old. After a few days, one developed sneezing and a nasal discharge. I did a lot of research and learned that chickens do not get colds. Two or three other pullets began to sneeze so I called my vet, who also treats birds, and she suggested I give all of my pullets an antibiotic for upper respiratory conditions. So, I gave them Duramycin-10 mixed in their water. The dosage was 1Tablespoon in a gallon of water for 7 days. I did this and all sneezing stopped. If you don't want to give an antibiotic, as many folks do not, you might give vitamins mixed in their water. After the antibiotic, I mixed probiotics in wet mash every day for a week. Hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by