Runny Nose??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 123ChickieLou, Nov 14, 2011.

1. 123ChickieLou

123ChickieLou Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    My Bluff Orp has had a runny nose for a few days. Its not all the time and its not more than a sheen that can be seen around the nostrils, like they're a little damp inside. Is this something I should worry about? She has sneezed a few times but at about the same frequency as the drippy nose. Her excriment is fine, appetite is fine, etc....
    I'm just now learning about worming my chickens and I have a good bit of Cayenne pepper on hand. Has anyone out there used this method successfully and how did you do it?
    I have raised parakeets as well and they sometimes sneeze or cough when there is nothing wrong with them (I've never lost one from a cold or communicable illness). Is it the same with chickens?
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Hello! Moniter your hennie's condition closely and wipe her nose every once in a while to keep her airways clear. If she imporves, great, and if it gets worse, let us know so that we can help better. [​IMG] It could just be a cold or she might be allergic to the bedding that you are using. Speaking of... what bedding are you using for them? Thanks!

3. 123ChickieLou

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    I'm using hay for bedding and have been since I got her. Today she's a bit different; more clingy and keeps lying down on the floor and walking around almost aimlessly. At the moment she is roosted and purring on the back of the couch next to me. A bit odd because usually she goes to her box to bed down, but like I said, clingy.
    She did recently molt but it seems to be over now. She had a dinner of white beans and rice mixed with her feed that she scarfed down and kept going back for more. I guess that's what all the contented purring is about. Her little crop is very full. (she's drifted deep into chicken land as I type)
    But back to the issue of her runny nose, I don't see a need to clean it as the nostils aren't blocked.
    I will keep updating as anything new develops or it doesn't go away. Could it be from molting? She just finished a day or so ago and it seems that this started about the time she started her molt. Oh, and last night she stood most of the night rather than lying down in her box.

4. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Has she been laying lately? It might just be from molt.

5. 123ChickieLou

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    I'm not sure that she's ever laid an egg. My neighbor brought one over that he said had to have been hers but that was the only indication that she's ever laid. I think she's around 5 months old give or take a couple of weeks. So she's at the age but her comb and waddles are almost non-existant; I've heard that combs and waddles are good indicators of laying readiness. So really, I have no idea if she's laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by